Scottish Law Online Discussion Forum
Help >> Legal Advice and Questions >> Deed to change name of a house?

Message started by paper on May 31st, 2012 at 1:23am

Title: Deed to change name of a house?
Post by paper on May 31st, 2012 at 1:23am
Can some kind person please point me to a template deed to change the name of a house registered with the Land Register? There isn't one in Sinclair and Stewart, which I suppose isn't surprising since the book's about conveyancing! :)

Apparently you can wait until the next disposition or other deed, and refer in that to "the property known as X, formerly known as Y", and ROS will be happy to oblige. The name is just icing on the cake, really; the property is identified by its title number and  plan. But no deeds are on the horizon with this particular property, other than the present disposition which I'm about to send in, which doesn't refer to any name change.

So I'm going to have to submit a deed just to change the name, either at the same time as applying to register the disposition or a few weeks later once the disposition has been registered. There's no standard security or debt. All we need is an office copy referring to the title proprietor and the property under its new name.

I'd be grateful for advice as to what should go on the deed to change the name. E.g. should we mention that an application has been made to the local authority to change the name? Or maybe the Land Register staff don't care about that (certainly they aren't routinely notified), and it's simply enough to execute a deed signed by the proprietor saying the property is now known under a new name?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Title: Re: Deed to change name of a house?
Post by Grenache on May 31st, 2012 at 12:11pm
If the house name is also part of it's postal address, you'll need to contact the local council.  I'm not sure which department, but they will have someone who will register the change in respect of council tax and ensuring that it's listed under the list of properties at the given postal code.

Title: Re: Deed to change name of a house?
Post by paper on May 31st, 2012 at 1:14pm
Thanks. I know that, and we have applied to the local authority. I was asking about what needs to go on a deed to change the house name in the Land Register. Any new deed can change it, but the deed we will be submitting will be a deed for that purpose only, and I haven't been able to find a template.

Scottish Law Online Discussion Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2010. All Rights Reserved.