Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Inheritence Tax from America (Read 4495 times)
Craig Coffield

Inheritence Tax from America
Dec 22nd, 2002 at 2:07am
What tax law(s) would apply to an inheritence from someone in the United States. Someone wants to leave estate to someone else in Scotland. What are the tax implications in Scotland for the beneficiary?
Back to top
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2002 at 6:01am by YaBB Administrator »  
IP Logged
Junior Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posts: 28
Re: Inheritence Tax from America
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2002 at 6:32am
Mr. Coffield;
The short answer is that the United States Internal Revenue Code imposes a tax on the estate,i.e. where the decedent died domiciled. It is the Administrator's duly to file the return and pay the tax as a part of the administration of the estate. Take notice as well that most States also impose a tax on the recipient as well.
In some instances, an heir or devisee resident in another country may be allowed a credit against their share of the estate from the tax paid to the U.S. Treasury, but only a local tax expert could advise you.
You should also know, depending on the size of the estate, with some astute planning, it is possible to pass a share of an estate prior to death, without horrendous tax consequences, to the intended recipients.
Good Luck!
Back to top
IP Logged
Senior Member

Posts: 211
Gender: male
Re: Inheritence Tax from America
Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2002 at 7:29am
UK Inheritance Tax is charged on the deceased's estate and not on the recipient.

According to the Inland Revenue, no Inheritance tax is due on 96% of estates as these are often below the threshold.  The threshold at the moment is 242,000 so if the estate is below this, no Inheritance Tax is due.

Capital Gains tax may apply if you dispose of the assets so if they are substantial contact either a solicitor, accountant or (the sensible option) call the Inland Revenue.

You can get help from the inland revenue by calling them on:

Helpline: 0131 777 4050

Or writing to:

Inland Revenue (Capital Taxes)
Meldrum House
15 Drumsheugh Gardens

Good luck.
Back to top
IP Logged
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009