Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dumb Laws (Read 22835 times)
scottishlaw

London
Dumb Laws
Jan 6th, 2003 at 3:35am

Dumb laws exist worldwide and one site seeks to collect as many as it can in the one place for all to see.

The odd thing about this though is that if you read the English or Scottish dumblaws, a few of them seem more historic than dumb.

A brief glance through the site would give you a bit of cause for concern about Americans though.  Apparently, in Marlboro, MA it is illegal to detonate a nuclear device within the city limits and in North Andover, also in MA an ordinance prohibits the use of space guns.  Not sure why either of these two laws needed to be enacted but I suppose it is better to be safe than sorry.

To be fair, many of the (perhaps more recently) dumb laws are often enacted as a knee-jerk reaction to a one off well publicised misdemeanour.  An example would be when Ozzy Osbourne urinated on the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas, the town saw the need to pass legislation prohibiting urinating on the Alamo.  I'm pretty sure that urinating in public would be covered under a more general law covering exposing yourself in public or breach of the peace in Scotland so we probably don't need similar legislation here.

Scots should beware though as apparently in York, excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.

Scottish dumb laws:
http://www.dumblaws.com/countries/countries.php?Country=Scotland

English dumb laws:
http://www.dumblaws.com/countries/countries.php?Country=England

Ozzy's misdemeanour:
http://www.dumblaws.com/explanations/explanation.php?LawID=993

IP Logged

RFM

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Dumb Laws
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2003 at 5:59am

I would take the Ozzie Ozbourne story with a lot of salt if I were you. The web site that posted the story does not provide any citation to back up their claim. In fact the site specifically says that it is for "entertainment" purposes only. That seems to be quite a strech.  The Alamo is one place with a lot of public participation. Knowing what I do about Texans, I would say that if it had really happened, Ozbourne would have been taking his life in his hands (pun intended).
   I also note that the claims that the site makes for Illinois state law and City of Chicago ordinances are bogus. Amercan criminal law generally is all statutory, in fact must be to pass constitutional muster. Any one of the so called "dumb laws" cited would be well known to any local practioner if they existed at all.

RFM

IP Logged

stax2004

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 7:13pm

YORK - Excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.

As a Scotsman, I'm up for it if any Yorkshireman fancies some shooting practice? How does next Sunday suit you?  Grin

IP Logged

just looking
Newbies

bored

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2005 at 2:53am

Then thers "carters" law....this allows you to urinate on the offside of your cart/horse drawn wagon..........or car?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009