Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Visit Amazon.co.uk today Wink
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recovering telephone costs back to clients (Read 4422 times)
Nigel
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Recovering telephone costs back to clients
Jan 17th, 2003 at 5:47pm

I am a facilities manager of a law firm in London and am thinking about recovering telephone costs back to my clients.  We have done a good deal with an international telecommunications company but want to charge back normal BT rates and thus generate income. 

Is this legal in the UK?  Can we get away with it?  Smiley
Angry

IP Logged

YaBB Administrator
Forum Administrator

Scottish Law Online

Scottish Law Online
Re: Recovering telephone costs back to clients
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2003 at 6:39am

I've heard of a few london firms charging for every fax received and I  don't know of any problem with this.

Personally I think this is wrong but if you can get away with it (i.e. clients pay) then what does it matter?

Clients normally pay "costs" without dispute but will query fees if they think they are excessive.  Having said that - I always thought that the high fees were justified by the fact that lawyers have high overheads.  If you start charging for the overheads then how can you justify the fees?

The Administrator.
IP Logged

scottishlaw

London
Re: Recovering telephone costs back to clients
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2003 at 7:33am

Actually no - it's still wrong. The legal fees are high because of the overheads that solicitors face. These include professional fees (such as membership to law societies, industry bodies, etc.), subscription to journals (these are particularly extortionate), training costs, support staff (secretaries, typists, print room, IT, etc.), training costs, general overheads and so on.

You can't start getting petty about a 20 phone bill when the client is paying the 6,000 legal bill!?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009