Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Contract problems with neighbour (Read 2715 times)
Aries
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Contract problems with neighbour
Apr 2nd, 2003 at 1:34pm

I live in a ground floor flat and share responsibility with my neighbour upstairs for the maintenance of the roof. Previously we have agreed on repairs and i have organised the roofers to do the job, the normal cost of such things being around 100. Then my neighbours husband died and she has gone crazy bringing in endless workmen at great cost over the last year. She presented me with four excessive quotes totaling to around 3,000 at present. I told her these were way above what they should be and that i would not sign such a contract with these workers, (most of the work was not necessary anyway). My neighbour went ahead and signed these contracts on her own and the work has been done. Am i going to be held to these quotes against my will and better judgement? She mentions taking me to the small claims courst, but i gather that she can only reclaim 750 + 75 costs etc, which is half what she expects me to pay and would seem a mad thing for her to do. I should add also that a lot of the work done was for her benefit and not part of the necessary shared items that are mentioned in the deeds, but it would be difficult to get someone to come and make an independant report on that. I have kept all her paper work to me, some of which is quite strange. I know i must get some legal advice etc and would like to see a solicitor near St Andrews who is an expert in such matters. If anyone knows of someone that can help me i would be really grateful!

IP Logged

scottishlaw

London
Re: Contract problems with neighbour
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2003 at 1:32am

On this site, you can go to the following page and see a listing of firms in that general area that have websites:

http://www.scottishlaw.org.uk/lawfirms/otherky.html

On the Law Society of Scotland's site you can got to their search for firms page and select "St. Andrews" then select "Residential Conveyancing" to see all firms in St. Andrews that may be able to help.  This page is at:

http://www.lawscot.org.uk/scripts/firms.asp

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009