Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scots Law in England (Read 59857 times)
robertsont
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Scots Law in England
May 26th, 2003 at 7:44pm

Hi,

I'm a student at Edinburgh University studying Scots law. Can anyone tell me what the process is if I want to practice law in England having taken the diploma in leglal practice in Scotland and how long this takes? (English Property Law exams?) Am I required to do my traineeship in Scoltand or England?

Secondly, is having a non-hons degree going to be detrimental to finding alternative employment should I decide against law? (it will still be an LLB)

Many thanks in advance,

Tom

IP Logged

scottishlaw

London
Re: Scots Law in England
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2003 at 6:12am

What year are you in?

If you have taken the Diploma in Scotland you may be better to do the traineeship in Scotland then convert.  If you haven't yet, it is easier to do the one year Scots to English conversion course then do the one year english equivalent of the Diploma.

If you have already qualified as a Scottish Solicitor, I think it only takes a couple of weeks to do the exams and you can study in your part time while you are working in a firm before that.

I don't know how easy it is to jump from Scottish diploma directly to English traineeship.  There are quite a few firms in Scotland that can give you a UK wide traineeship:

McGrigors;
D&W;
DLA;
Masons;
Shepherds; and
a few others too...

Obviously some of these encourage it more than others.  With these firms you may be able to leave the Diploma and start off in one of their English offices. 

Have you started considering applying for a job yet?

IP Logged

JOANNA
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2003 at 3:42am

hi there
im an english girl living in scotland doing scottish law and i have been told i will have to do 5yrs in england to study english law, but you can do it through open university.
english and scottish law are totally different
best wishes
joanna

IP Logged

scottishlaw

London
Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2003 at 6:28pm

There are three different stages that people who decide they want to convert from Scottish to English Law will generally be at:

1. immediately after completion of a Scottish law degree;

2. immediately after completion of the one year Diploma in Legal Practice course in Scotland; and

3. after completion of a two year legal traineeship with a Scottish law firm (which includes completion of the PCC and TPC).

The options open to you depend on the stage that you are at when you decide to convert. English law is different from Scottish law but not a great deal different.

The Law Society of England & Wales have a series of pages on their site detailing the steps required to become an English solicitor.

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/becomingasolicitor.law

If you are planning to do this after the first two events above then you may have to do the CPE (Common Professional Examination (a conversion course for people who haven't already done an English law degree)) followed by the LPC (Legal Practice Course (English equivalent of the Diploma). It may be the case that a scaled down version of the CPE is available for people who have done a Scottish law degree.

I don't know if the fact that you have done the Diploma in Scotland will help. The Diploma is a practical course and spending a year learning about Scottish criminal and civil court procedure and about which conveyancing forms to fill in and how to draft a Scottish Will isn't very useful if you want to practise in England.

If you have reached the third stage above and are now a qualified Scottish solicitor then you will have to sit the Property paper in the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test to become a qualified English solicitor. See the following page for this:

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/becomingasolicitor/outsideengandwales.law

Regulation 7 of the QLTT applies to Scottish Solicitors:

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk//documents/downloads/becomingqlttregsv1.pdf

Just to make this useful for overseas visitors too - the Law Society's pages on foreign qualification are here:

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/becomingasolicitor/outsideengandwales/requalificati...

That link also has more info on the QLTT.

Hope some of this helps.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2005 at 4:30am by YaBB Administrator »  
IP Logged

kyle
Newbies

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2004 at 1:08am

cheers guys, thats extremely helpful  Wink

IP Logged

reva
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 1:07am

Hi

I have recently completed the LLB (Hons) 2:1, but it is in English Law. I have started the LPC (Equivalent to the Scottish diploma). I am orginally from Scotland and am keen to get back to the homeland!

I understand the only way to convert to Scots Law is to complete the Intra-transfer test after becoming qualified in England. Is this true, and does anyone know anyone who has done this and whether it is difficult?

Thanks,
Reva

IP Logged

Neil

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 8:37pm

I know someone who is doing it at the moment and I think it is one three hour exam. 

The alternative is to retrain in Scotland before you qualify, but that would mean another 3 years of full time study (LLB and Dip LP).

At this stage, you would seem best to qualify in England then convert.  The Law Society of Scotland webiste has info on the conversion requirements.

IP Logged

taxman
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 7:41pm

There is good info on Manchester University website and there is also a law fair there on 23 November

IP Logged

junkpro11
Newbies

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 3:42pm

I'm studying scots law but maybe want to become a corporate lawyer in england. What steps do I have to take?

Thanks

IP Logged

Joe the Doe

Scotland
Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 8:08pm

Please read above!

IP Logged

rarees
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 9:58pm

just want to say thanks to what has been said, its helped me, as i live in scotland and would like the opportunity to work in scotland in the future, but im starting the law conversion course in england, but currently doing a vacation placement in edinburgh!
it's not the best with scotland and england/wales having different law systems!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009