Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
You may have fun with this one... (Read 1880 times)
will_rgu
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

You may have fun with this one...
Jan 10th, 2005 at 12:58am

Hey I just registered today, Im a Law student myself at Robert Gordon, Aberdeen.  Just looking for your opinion on something:

Currently living in university owned self catering flats, we pay a high rate of rent for our six bedroom flat.  Included in this rent is heating lighting etc. as well as security- comprising security guards at the entrance to the compound at night, and barriers to stop cars entering the car park without a pass.

Last week the site office was broken into and three master keys stolen, the accomodation and security staff failed to inform anyone of this break-in, which resulted in a neighbouring flat being entered with minimal effort (using the master key) and three laptops stolen as well as 4 wallets.  That night a flatmate of mine had his bike stolen, and low and behold, two nights later, our flat was entered.  Personally I had cash, an ipod, small things stolen, as did everyone else.  After the police came to take statements, they informed us of the master key theft- this was the first I had heard and was less than pleased.

The next morning, having not slept through fear for my own safety, I had words with the security manager, who told me he 'didnt want to panic anyone', which roughly translated means that he didnt want to blow 2,500 of the universitys budget on changing all the locks without any theft having taken place.  I asked that he inform everyone in danger to ensure had the decision, at leats, to take precautions to prtoect their property.

That night we learned a total of 6 robberies had taken place, two of which in our flat on seperate occasions.  We decided to go a walk and check out the security, to my horror the barrier at the front gate was left open (apparently to allow students to return home after christmas) and there was zero security (they dont start until next week)  This meant that instead of small things like cash or an ipod, the thieves were free to enter the car park with a van and load it with posessions.  Less than happy, I contacted the warden, who told me that his boss, the accomodation manager, had told him to keep the barrier open- despite the circumstances which he was fully aware of.

Now our insurance policies dont cover us for the thefts as there was no forced entry, can we claim from the university?

Another point is that my exams are fast approaching, meaning that the stress caused by this incident and my lack of sleep through watching for thieves (the locks wont be changed until Tuesday 'at the earliest') has had an adverse affect on my study.  Can I claim for resits should they have to be taken?

I think you will have fun with this little number as no doubt uni accomodation was a legally taxing experience for us all hehe, and look forward to your opinions...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009