Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Diploma question (Read 3923 times)
Lil
Newbies

Diploma question
Jan 15th, 2005 at 11:14pm

Looking into the fouture slightly....... However, hope someone can help.

It says on the law society website that not all students who complete the LLB will receive a grant towards the Diploma.

My questions are:
What proportion of students do receive a grant?

What is the criteria for receiving one?

Where/who do the grants come from?

IP Logged

ameliellb
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Diploma question
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2005 at 12:29am

Hi, I'm doing the Diploma just now and this information relates to the funding situation in my year. It is obviously subject to change...

SAAS funds 300 students a year. I believe that there are 450-500 students doing Diploma this year. Note also SAAS give you only 3000 while Diploma costs are over 4000. Some of the bigger firms make up the difference, and some also pay your Diploma fees even if you don't get a SAAS award.

A board meets and looks at all applications for all of the Diploma providers. They look at your marks in specific courses (the Diploma prerequisites). The courses might be named differently elsewhere, but for Edinburgh degrees this means: Public Law, Obligations, Criminal, Evidence, Family, Property, Commercial, Legal Reasoning and Legal Systems and Taxation. They count your marks at first sitting and have some sort of scoring system. Your honours classification can also affect your score either way.

SAAS gives the grants. You can also apply for means-tested maintenance funds I believe.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Lil
Newbies

Diploma question - another query
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2005 at 4:37pm

Thanks, that really helps.

What worries me though is that I'm doing the accelerated LLB for graduates, this isn't an honours course - will this affect the likelihood of my getting a grant (I already have a non-law honours degree)?

I'm going to call the SAAS and have a chat to them about this but if anybody has any idea that would be great.

IP Logged

ameliellb
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Diploma question
Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 12:55am

Nope, lots of my friends who did accelerated degrees got SAAS funds - probably a higher percentage of folk with accelerated degrees actually did get funding. As I said, allocation is based on your ordinary marks in key subjects.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009