Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
traineeships/ summer placements (Read 6635 times)
Pixie

teribilis est locus iste

Glasgow
traineeships/ summer placements
Jan 27th, 2005 at 10:50pm

Hi,
Just wondering if I could get some advice. I'm in my first year of the accelerated LLB, which means that this summer I'll be applying for my traineeship (quite a scary thought!). I am currently applying for summer placements, since this will be the only relevant experience I will get before training.

I recently applied to Dundas and Wilson, got through the application process, but was then asked to complete online verbal aptitude tests, which were awful!!! It was my first time doing them, and I obviously didn't do great, as I received a letter today telling me I was unsuccessful. I'm pretty gutted, although not that suprised!

Anyway, I have an interview coming up with McGrigor's, which again involves psychometric testing  Sad and I'm feeling pretty depressed after my first experience. So could anyone please give me some advice regarding the tests  Angry and also any tips on the interiew, perhaps there are some McGrigor's trainees out there... Smiley

I cant beleive how tough it is just to get a summer placement, so I'm dreading the traineeship application process!

Thankyou!

IP Logged

scottishlaw

London
Re: traineeships/ summer placements
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 3:53am

http://www.scottishlaw.org.uk/student/traineeship.html

That page has a bit of info on these types of tests but the general sentiment is that you can't trick them and there's no point trying.  Even if you do trick the tests and achieving one set of results, that may not be the results the firm in question is looking for. 

Being rejected by a law firm in this way or in any other way is not a reflection on your ability or you as a person.  It is a bit of a lottery - there are too many people competing for a limited number of jobs initially and they do have to make quick judgments to eliminate people. 

Perseverance is the only real piece of advice anyone can get.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009