Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LLB(Ord) at Edinburgh (Read 4055 times)
McK
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

LLB(Ord) at Edinburgh
Jan 30th, 2005 at 10:00pm

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on whether or not the accelerated LLB at Edinburgh is any good, or even just the Law school (as a whole). Having heard that the teaching is 'traditional' I wasn't too put off, having done an MA at St Andrews which is similar in its approach.

I've had unconditional offers, after my current degree, from Aberdeen and Dundee as well, and am waiting for Glasgow and Strath.

My real concern is how much of a difference does the university at which you take the LLB make to prospective employers? I read the league tables, but both Guardian and Times seem to have very different ideas of how good each Scottish LLB course is. I'm leaning towards Edinburgh because of the city, the good reputation of the uni and the proximity of courts, parliament etc.

What d'you reckon?

Thanks

IP Logged

ameliellb
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: LLB(Ord) at Edinburgh
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 12:32am

I did my LLB(Hons) at Edinburgh and would highly recommend it if you like good old traditional teaching by highly respected professors. I think that my choice of university might have had an influence on employers when applying for traineeships, although I think this was more to do with the extra volunteering and other work experience I got in the city[i]. You have the Parliament, the Supreme Courts and other such bodies in close proximity, and these feed into the teaching of the University. And now that I'm doing the Diploma, Edinburgh is certainly the best choice. I have some excellent tutors - 3 of them are advocates. Where else can offer this?!
And on a more practical note, it is much easier to go for interviews for internships and traineeships if you're based in Edinburgh.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009