Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plagiarism - Advice needed (Read 3670 times)
BourneSupreme
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Plagiarism - Advice needed
Feb 26th, 2005 at 1:45am

Hi,

I have been a passive browser of this site due to my interest and desire to go on and study graduate law.

However, a situation has occured which has prompted me to post and seek advice here. I hope you all can help.

I'm a medical Sciences student. I recently heard news that a lab report I submitted had been sent to the registrar for suspicions of plagiarism. I received an email from the registrar today titled "breach of regulations."

Basically, this is what the email states:

"Your examiners have found that a large proportion of the work you have submitted bears a very close relationship with work submitted by two of your fellow students: Mr John Myers and, particularly, Mr Stephen
Miller. In addition, there is some evidence that you used last year's results (the dilutions used this year were different). It appears that not only are your texts extremely similar; but that you have each got the same things right and the same things wrong.

The examiners believe that either you have copied your fellow students' work, or that they have copied yours; or that the three of you have worked together effectively to produce a joint submission. In any case, this would be a breach of the Assessment Regulations (enclosed 2): either 3.1 (which concerns writing material in your own words) or 3.4 (which concerns giving help to or receiving help from other students.

In accordance with the procedures (enclosed 3) this matter will now be referred to an Investigating Dean, who must decide whether there is a case for you to answer. If so, she may wish to interview you about
it. However, in the meantime, it would be very helpful if you could supply me with your response to the allegation, and your explanation of how your two scripts came to be so similar. This should preferably be by email to the address below. Anything you write will be forwarded to the Dean, and may well influence her decision. If you do not respond, the Dean may
conclude that you have no credible explanation of the matter raised by the examiners, and the Dean may then wish to take summary action on the evidence that has been presented to her. The Dean will be aware that you were found to have committed similar offences last year."

I can confirm that I did have access to last year's results. However, re copying my colleagues is a straight no-no. I don't even interact with mr stephen miller, let alone allow him to look at my work and vice versa.
In addition, the lab report I submitted was poor and had only attempted 2 questions out of the five. Therefore, why would I not copy the rest and just decided to do the first two.

I'm really worried I will get thrown out and would really appreciate some help in the matter.

Is there any legal advice I could take? I'm sure this would come under defamation of character.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009