Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
salvage laws,, (Read 11640 times)
transformer72
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

salvage laws,,
Jan 9th, 2006 at 4:27pm

i own a small boat, and live close to the sea.. i was just wondering the scottish laws for goods found at sea or surrounding coastland areas.. can i claim these thing for my own,??

IP Logged

Princess Analia

Glasgow
Re: salvage laws,,
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 5:53pm

They officially belong to the Crown if they are abandoned.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2006 at 3:59am by Princess Analia »  
princessanalia1974  
IP Logged

mr_physical
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 11:17pm

No, they belong to their owner.  Only if the owner cannot be found do they belong to the Crown.

SALVAGE
Where you recover vessels, their apparel, cargo or wreck on the sea, tidal waters or the shore, in circumstances where theywould otherwise be lost, you are entitled to a salvage reward from the owner of the goods.

WRECK
Any object of value, identifiable as belonging to someone, that is washed up on the shore or found in territorial waters is 'wreck' and must be declared to the Receiver of Wreck.   Failure to report wreck you have taken possession of is an offence.

BEACHCOMBING
You can keep anything that has never belonged to someone - fish, shellfish, seaweed, possibly pebbles.  Sand belongs to the owner of the foreshore and should not be  taken. 

Be sensible.  No one will care if you keep objects of no or little value, but anything of value must be declared.

IP Logged

transformer72
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 2:16pm

found something of rather high value, and suppose i better report it  Embarrassed, thankx all for advice..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009