Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LEGAL JOB (Read 13883 times)
caleylaw
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

LEGAL JOB
Jun 13th, 2006 at 3:13am

I have just finished my LLb but not sure if i will be accepted into the dimploma.  Therefore i wondered if anyone knew other legal jobs which would be suitable for me.  I am also interested in the financial side of business and my degree also contains banking and corporate fiance.

thanks

IP Logged

Deedee

Re: LEGAL JOB
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 3:25pm

Did you get into the Diploma? If not, what have you been doing?

IP Logged

petrocelli

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 9:25pm

What about Paralegal?  Or the police? (Both "legal jobs").

Law is also still recognised by many non-legal employers as a good degree, you should be fine.

"Make crime pay. Become a Lawyer." &&Will Rogers.

IP Logged

Annette

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ayrshire
Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 6:37pm

Can anyone tell me what qualifications et al., are required to become a Precognition Taker.   I also wish to know if there are age limits?

IP Logged

grumpy
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 8:57am

There are no qualifications or age requirements (other than the normal lower age limit of 16). Lawyers look for relevant experiience and knowledge of the court system and police procedures hence the reason why the majority of precognition agents are retired police officers. The market is a fairly closed shop for the following reasons :-
1. Fixed fees in summary criminal cases make it less likely that there is any money to pay for precognitions.
2. The crown now routinely give copy crown precognitions to the defence.
3. It is now normally only in sheriff and jury or High Court cases that precognitions are still taken. This means less work going round with the same number of precognition agents looking for that work.

What you need is a lawyer who is willing to give you work. Have you considered offering your services on a trial basis for no fee to see if you can impress a lawyer enough to give you more work later?

IP Logged

Annette

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ayrshire
Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 12:56pm

Hello Grumpy,

I have not considered asking a Lawyer.

I have a very good knowledge of law in Scotland.   Principally, Criminal Law, although recently I have asked a question to the forum about the Double Jeopardy law as I am aware it comes under another name in our Law.

I can see now, having read your reply, why it is something these days of a closed shop.

I am a writer and researcher since 1992.  I write only true crime, and have attended many trials, appeals et al.   It was because of my interest that I asked the question.

I am now retired to write full time.

Thank you for your kind reply.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009