Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paralegals in Scotland (Read 14334 times)
ScotKat1
Newbies

A Scot and Proud of it!!

Illinois, USA
Paralegals in Scotland
Jul 11th, 2006 at 11:03pm

I recently read a post about guidelines for a Lawyer from overseas practicing in Scotland. Is there any information about being a paralegal in Scotland? I am in the USA now specializing in Real Estate, and will be moving to Scotland in a few years and would really like to be a paralegal there. Any information would be great.

IP Logged

YaBB Administrator
Forum Administrator

Scottish Law Online

Scottish Law Online
Re: Paralegals in Scotland
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 3:29am

I would contact the Scottish Paralegal Association for some initial information - if you get any, post it here.

http://www.scottish-paralegal.org.uk/

There is an FAQ accessible from the menu on the left.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

ScotKat1
Newbies

A Scot and Proud of it!!

Illinois, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 4:20am

Thank you. I have sent off an email to them. The FAQ didn't have my specific question. I will post any findings.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Sixfootblonde
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 9:51am

www.clt-scotland.co.uk

I am a paralegal at the moment but thought I would go for my paralegal certificate just to put a rubber stamp on the fact that I am a paralegal and I can do the job.  You can do the course through CLT either at home or at a night class.  I am currently doing it at home and the course is definitely worth the money.

Hope this helps  Smiley

IP Logged

Law tutor
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Scotland
Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 1:01pm

The structure of paralegals in Scotland is now being reviewed and supported by the Law Society of Scotland. Many colleges in Scotland offer courses in Professional Development Awards in specific areas eg conveyancing, executry etc. This should be fully activated by January or at the latest for August 2009. The course is being devised with approval of both the Law Society of Scotland and the Scottish Paralegal Association and runs part time over the period of a year. It is more cost effective than the training which is supplied by CLT (not Strathclyde University as most people think), although I am not implying that CLT training is not satisfactory. Anyone who wishes to train as a paralegal should investigate both CLT courses and the PDA's which are offered in colleges in relation to product offered and cost and decide which is best for their purposes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009