Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power of Attorney and the banks (Read 8745 times)
bwriter
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

kirkcaldy
Power of Attorney and the banks
Nov 10th, 2006 at 7:20pm

I just obtained Continuing Power of Attorney and Welfare  ???Power of Attorney over my mother's affairs. Acting on the advice of the solicitor who drew upm the documents, I showed them to my bank. They asked me to sign one or two forms. Fine.
But then they sent me another document to fill in, sign and return to them.
What's going on?
I thought the documents I paid a lot of money for were all I required. And I assumed, showing them to the bank was a courtesy on my part.
Must I fill in all their bumph before the Power of Attorney has any legal standing with them?

IP Logged

petrocelli

Re: Power of Attorney and the banks
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 6:17pm

I suspect the forms you have been asked to complete are to facilitate the updating of the Bank's own internal systems.  Can you be more specific regarding the nature of the forms you have been asked to complete?

Generally speaking, I assume form your post that you obtained these powers recently (within the last couple of years or so).  If so, then so long as the Continuing Power of Attorney has been registered with the Office of the Public Guardian, then a certified copy of it should be sufficient, though some institutions still insist on seeing the original document.  If you do not have this, the OPG will more than likely have returned it to your solicitor.

The Welfare power is not in issue here, as it is the Continuing Power which grants the autority to deal with financial matters.

"Make crime pay. Become a Lawyer." &&Will Rogers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009