Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Residents ASSociation (Read 4490 times)
Kat4kt
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Residents ASSociation
Jan 31st, 2007 at 9:31pm

I am a tenant in a property with a residents association who have taken upon themselves (or himself) that following an attempted break in, to change the access codes on the front and rear entrances to our building, with the issue of the rear code to be given only to owner occupiers and not tenants.

As a tenant at the rear of the property this means I am only able to access my flat by walking throught the entire building,  which I  have highlighted is impossible for my disabled relative who frequently visits.

The Residents association has replied by stating that with the exception of my physically impaired visitor If i agree to not using the rear access for personal entry I can receive the access code only to be used to let in the specified visitor. And that due to the CCTV systems throughout, I feel my liberty is being restricted unecessarily. As I am being given permission to exit the building from the rear door but enter only from the front as that is where our concierge is located.

All owner occupiers will however be given both the front and rear access codes without question. I must also agree not give out the code to anyone and if a security breach is found I will be liable to pay £100 to have the access code changed.

I fully understand the need for security, however the restrictions on my own freedom cannot be acceptable surely?

I must reply in writing agreeing to these ridiculous terms. i am wary as I  will fully agree not to give out the code to non-residents as it is an undersstandable security measure however I cannot agree to being personally prevented to enter my flat.

IP Logged

petrocelli

Re: Residents ASSociation
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 8:13pm

Asking you to be personally liable for any security breach, as opposed to a breach for which it is established you were responsible is unreasonable.

Quote:
I am a tenant in a property with a residents association who have taken upon themselves (or himself) that following an attempted break in, to change the access codes on the front and rear entrances to our building, with the issue of the rear code to be given only to owner occupiers and not tenants.

Do I understand then that you had access via the rear door before the codes were changed?

Frankly, once in possession of the code I would be tempted to just use the back door for entrance anyway.  What do you suspect they will do if you choose to do so? Interdict you from entering via the rear door?  Seeing as they are allowing you to exit via the rear door this seems preposterous.

I think it would be helpful if you could reproduce the exact terms you have been required to agree with - I presume these were in writing?  From the sounds of it it does not appear that there is a penalty to be imposed on you for entering via the rear door.  Therefore, whilst you may well be breaching your undertaking not to enter via the rear door, as there is no associated penalty - so what?

"Make crime pay. Become a Lawyer." &&Will Rogers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum © Kevin F Crombie 2009