Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Boundary Fence (Read 20152 times)
falkirkfan2003
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Boundary Fence
Feb 18th, 2007 at 11:15pm

Hi,

could some one answer a simple question, the fence between my neighbour and I has blown down, now I am quite willing to pay for half of the bill of a new fence but my neighour says that they do not want to pay anything as its not there resposability, we both stay in bought houses. Surely as it an adjoining boundary fence both parties as resposible, if needs be I will pay the full amount but think this is a bit unfair..

can someone give me an easy answer..

IP Logged

petrocelli

Re: Boundary Fence
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 9:29pm

Sorry, no easy answer.

If it is a mutual boundary, then both you and your neighbour should own half of the boundary each.

It is only by examination of title deeds however that you will be able to discover categorically who is responsible for what proportion of the upkeep/repair of the fence.

Unless you have your title deeds and know what you are looking for I would recommend seeing a solicitor (on the assumption that you are not willing to pay for the entire cost of the fence).

"Make crime pay. Become a Lawyer." &&Will Rogers.

IP Logged

coullboy
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 9:31am

If you need a copy of your title and one of your neighbours try www.registersdirect and ask. It does not cost alot of (20 max.)  money certainly cheaper than asking your solicitor to get hold of a copy for you.

As petro says it is there is no easy answer, sometimes just doing the repair yourselve is the easiest solution

IP Logged

Howard84
Newbies

I'm new!

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 11:16pm

For some reason, I was led to believe that a homeowner/householder is responsible for fencing to the left of their property.

IP Logged

Lil Mo

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 10:56am

Hi - if that was the case - what then happens if you are the last house on the line i.e the right fence?  Also, what happens to the fence at the back of a garden, which is neither left or right?

Mo

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009