Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
student funding (Read 28842 times)
Hammy
Newbies

Edinburgh
student funding
Feb 22nd, 2007 at 8:51pm

With respect to budd246's post, i was wondering if anyone could tell me how i would go about acquiring student funding for the LLB course. I am currently on the 2-year accelerated programme, which is costing me £5400 or so a year, which is clearly ridiculous.The Law Society should bring out the best students, not just those who can afford it.

All helpful suggestions welcome.
Regards,
Hammy

IP Logged

petrocelli

Re: student funding
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 9:28pm

I did the standard 4yr honours degree, and am amazed by this - is there really no SAAS funding for the accelerated LLB?  I had no idea.

And £5,400 a year?  I don't think it even costs that much for the Diploma!

"Make crime pay. Become a Lawyer." &&Will Rogers.

IP Logged

Norse_mann

"at the weekends I'm a
viking"

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 10:17pm

Hammy, unfortunately there is no single body that provides funding for a postgrade LLB, the onus is on yourself to get the money: career loans are rare , expensive and may be difficult to get if you haven't got a traineeship lined up at the end of the degree.

You should get a SAAS student loan (approx £4000)  though and working part time should be sufficent to live and study.

If the funding would really be a problem I know Strathclyde and Napier offer the LLB on a part time basis and you could consider that as an alternative

Lord Denning Rules OK&&&&House of Lords Overrules OK

IP Logged

Hammy
Newbies

Edinburgh
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 12:15am

Thanks guys. Is there no possibility of getting a sponsor in any way? ps, yeh i know Petrocelli £5400!!! SAAS dont provide fees for those on their second degrees, bunch of stingy c***s!!!!

IP Logged

Neil

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 11:09pm

What is very odd is that the same university charges an extra £2,700 in total to do the graduate LLB over 2 years, than the part-time over 5 years. †

Can't quite see the justfication. †If anything, the part-time should be more as it requires extra (evening time) classes to be put on, where as the 2-year course just runs along with the rest of the undergrads. †

IP Logged

Azlak
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 1:22pm

Hi Hammy, I'm currently in a similar position to yourself. I'm due to start the accelerated LLB next year and I'm looking at funding at the moment.

The Royal Bank of Scotland offer a Career Development Loan (alongside Barclays and the Cooperative Bank). I'm not sure about the latter two's small print but the RBS will loan you up to 80% of your fees with a maximum of £8,000.  The loan is subject to a credit check however so it's not a student loan per-se. You should apply 3 months before the course is due to start. If sucessful, the Bank wil pay the money directly to the institution you are studing it.

The SAAS won't fund this degree at all. Mainly due tp the fact that if you're on an accelerated course, you must have completed an honours degree prior to entry which presumably the SAAS will have alreay funded. So even though the accelerated programme is sort of a post-graduate course, it's still considered undergraudate and subject to the same funding rules that would apply if you were going back for a non-vocational degree.

It may be worth trying to study the LLB at the university that you graduated from first time around as they may offer a discount for coming back. At the moment my fees would stand at £5,700 per year. As I graduated from the institution I'm returning to, I get a discount of £300 per year. Not great, but it's £600 less I have to find.

IP Logged

Norse_mann

"at the weekends I'm a
viking"

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 7:39pm

Azlak, I did an accelerated LLB a few years ago now, I got a student loan for living (£4000) but had to find my own fees. do SAAS really not even help you to that extent now?

IP Logged

Azlak
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 9:34pm

It looks (from their website) that you can fill in a application for the bursary or grant no matter if you have completed a degree before. I've emailed them to clarify this though. I may be abke to apply for a grant as I'm still under 25 and classified as 'dependent' even though I don't live with my parents.

They definitely won't help with fees but I expected that. Hopefully they can offer some sort of bursary.  Smiley

IP Logged

lynne86
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2007 at 12:31am

I am also due to start the 2 year LLb in September, but sorry to inform you Azlak I have already applied to SAAS for a bursary and but they say they do not grant bursaries for this course. They have given me £4,400 for living costs. What institution are you going to study at? I'm going to Glasgow, I received a letter from them the other day concerning a scholarship of £1,000 they offer to new students, but I did not meet the criteria. I know most institutions have hardship funds which you can apply to, but the trouble is they seem very difficult to obtain.

IP Logged

Azlak
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2007 at 9:56pm

Hi Lynne.

Cheers for letting me know. I received a reply from the SAAS (pretty quckly as well, they said their target was 15 days!) and they said what you say. I can apply for the loan, but no bursary. It was worth a try though!

I'm heading back to Stirling. It's a new course there but I loved my first degree there and can't wait to go back.

I thinkt the hardship loan only comes into force if you're unemployed. One of my firends was made unemployed during third year and she had to apply for the loan but mentioned how difficult it was to obtain. I should hopefully scrape by financially but it'll be tough, and fingers crossed it will be worth it.  Smiley

IP Logged

Norse_mann

"at the weekends I'm a
viking"

Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2007 at 6:25pm

Azlak

I did my first degree at stirling and I remember the hardship loan was quite easy to get, you could have a job and a loan and you'd always get something, best to get in early though about mid-semester. The form took about ten minutes and you ahd to photocopy a load of stuff but I always found it was worth the time.

I'd say get your bottom upto geddes, but the office has probably moved now Sad

IP Logged

Pixie

teribilis est locus iste

Glasgow
Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 10:32am

Hi guys,
I've just started my traineeship after doing a degree and then the accelerated degree at Glasgow Uni followed by the diploma. I don't know why it's such a closely guarded secret, but Natwest offer a loan of up to £25,000 called a professional studies loan. You can apply if you are doing medicine or law. It is geared towards the way an English law qualification works, but you can still get it up here. I didn't find out about it until my second year by complete chance, but it solved all my problems, as I have funded everything myself. You can use it to pay all your fees, have some set by for the diploma and use it for living costs if working becomes too much. You just have to specify what you need all of it for. You also have the option of paying it back either in your first or second year of your traineeship, which gives you a chance to get back on your feet in your first year if you want to pay later. There are also no penalties for paying it all in a lump sum at a later date. (God I should be getting paid commission by Natwest for this!)

Honestly, it was the saviour of my degree or I doubt I would be sitting here now! Good luck!

IP Logged

Azlak
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - Sep 27th, 2007 at 9:14pm

Cheers for that information Pixie, I knew nothing about that. I wonder why universities etc keep quiet about it and push the Career Development Loans. Probably because they're government influenced loans.

Must look into the Natwest one though. Thanks a lot  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum © Kevin F Crombie 2009