Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is There A National Register of Wills? (Read 11255 times)
avengingangel
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Is There A National Register of Wills?
Mar 18th, 2007 at 9:36am

I know in some countries, notaries register all wills in a central database. So when someone dies, you just apply there to find out if the deceased made a will. Is there such a position in Scotland? If someone has recently died, does the fact that there is no will found in their desk mean that they died intestate? Maybe they made a will unknown, possibly even in another part of Scotland?

IP Logged

Norse_mann

"at the weekends I'm a
viking"

Re: Is There A National Register of Wills?
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 5:37pm

I assume that you know someone who has died and are unable to locate a will.

There is no obligation to register a will in Scotland, although this can be done either in the Books of Council and Session (part of registers of Scotland in Edinburgh) or in the Books of the (Local) Sheriff Court. However registration is normally only done as part of the executary process, when winding up the estate (ie after death) and for the most part wills for people who are still alive are either kept by the person themselves, among their papers, in a bank box, between pages in a bibe (in one case Grin), or if the will was drawn up by a solicitor it is likely that the lawyer will have the will in their safe.

Lord Denning Rules OK&&&&House of Lords Overrules OK

IP Logged

avengingangel
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 8:05am

Thank you for the reply, yes, I feared that was the case.

IP Logged

Deedee

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 4:35pm

what often happens is that a solicitor will write to lots of other solicitors asking them to check their will safe in case they have a will for the deceased.

Sometimes people put in ads looking for wills. As you say, its not easy if the deceasd didn't let anyone know if they had made a will, and if so where it is kept.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009