Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
English -> Scots Law? (Read 6975 times)
timorousbeastie
Newbies

Edinburgh
English -> Scots Law?
May 2nd, 2007 at 11:29pm

Hi,

My parents are thinking of moving to the Borders some time soon. They are both Circuit judges who do civil & family law, and so would be looking to transfer to county courts near to the border. However, I was wondering how difficult it would be for them to convert from English to Scots law, and work in the Sheriffs courts which would be much closer? Also, are Sheriffs courts equivalent to County courts?

Thanks,

Tom

IP Logged

rab_c_nesbitt

See you....

Re: English -> Scots Law?
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2007 at 1:15pm

What knowledge and training do they have of Scots law ??

I guess the difficulty of conversion is down very largely to the competance, drive and enthusiasm of the candidate...

What was wrong with England?

IP Logged

Norse_mann

"at the weekends I'm a
viking"

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2007 at 3:07pm

Firstly Sheriffs in Scotland are generally Advocates or Solicitors who have practiced law in scotland, the statutory requirement is for 10 years (although there does not appear to be a requirement that this has to be as a scottish lawyer). The best people to ask would be the http://www.judicialappointmentsscotland.gov.uk
As for the sheriff courts being roughly equivilent to the county courts this is broadly correct, however the sheriff courts also deal with criminal matters, while the County Courts are purely civil. The rules of procedure will also be different.

Lord Denning Rules OK&&&&House of Lords Overrules OK

IP Logged

timorousbeastie
Newbies

Edinburgh
Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2007 at 9:30pm

Well they both really like the Scottish Borders, it is where my father's family is from, and so ultimately they would probably want to retire here in five to ten years or so. Also, they would be closer to me! Smiley

I was just curious about this, thanks for replying!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009