Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can siblings stay in same hotel room together? (Read 6310 times)
raodorikku
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Can siblings stay in same hotel room together?
Jun 18th, 2007 at 10:44am

I am enquiring about a (probably) Scottish law that I am told is 'common knowledge'.  As I understand it, the law prevents opposite-sex siblings from sharing a hotel room if one of them is over 7.  A 'Scottish School' (outside of Scotland) has told me:

"Whenever we run a school trip we must allocate rooms according to this rule and siblings of different sex are not allowed to share the same room after one of them reaches seven years old, even though in some cases the parent must pay extra for another room."  

They quoted this law in preventing me from sharing a hotel room with my 10y.o. sister (I am 35) when we went together on a school trip.  An English friend of mine has no knowledge of this law. 

The school is unable to quote me the exact law, leaving me wondering if it even exists.  I am wondering if someone out there can tell me what, if any, law they could be referring to and if there is an internet reference for it. 

Personally I can see no sense in such a law.  What would its purpose be?  Is its underlying pretext that once a child turns 7 they become a 'risk' to their younger siblings?  Isn't this prejudging all children?

Anyway, I eagerly await learned replies.

IP Logged

Deedee

Re: Can siblings stay in same hotel room together?
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 11:36am

I'm not aware of any such law. This sounds to me like school policy. I think you'd need to contact the Education Authority and find out their policy on school trips. They have policies about how many teachers must be present to supervise pupils etc., so maybe their policyextends to rules regarding sharing of rooms.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009