Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
croft: Plot and who's is it (Read 3404 times)
redphonebox
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

croft: Plot and who's is it
Jul 8th, 2007 at 11:27am

In 1998 (9 years ago) I was assigned a croft. This is a bareland croft. A small area of the croft was fenced in, by a poor condition fence, which I have subsequently taken down. I am now informed by locals that this was a decrofted plot and owned by somebody else, no longer living in the area. I have tried to find the previous owner and checked the land registry which confirms the sale of the land, but cannot find said person.

My question is, do I have any claim on this land in the middle of my croft given nobody has returned to it in the last nine years? If I have any rights to it, how do I legalise it?

IP Logged

Deedee

Re: croft: Plot and who's is it
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 11:12am

Assuming that the land is in fact de-crofted, then it is owned by the person whose name appears in the Land Register. You need both title and possession for 10 years to acquire a right to land.

You say you have tried to find the owner. Does this include employing a tracing agent?

One caveat. The law on crofting (which would seem not to apply here) changed fairly recently and I am not up to date on these changes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009