Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Glasgow Housing Association/flooding (Read 8190 times)
Eretik
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow Housing Association/flooding
Jul 10th, 2007 at 2:41pm

I live in a Glasgow Housing Association flat. Our house keeps getting flooded from the house above. [Our house is a flat in a multi-story deck access type.] This has happened several times, each time it appears to be worse/more water and the problem is becoming more frequent,despite the plumbing being repaired each time the flood happens. The time between floods is now three weeks,between the last time and now. The water is coming from waste pipes and I am very concerned abnout the effect on my family's health as well as the obvious damage it causes. The water runs onto sockets and into the electrical cupboard. I do not have house insurance, but I am not seeking financial recompense, however, I feel that there  is a responsibility on the part of the Housing association, who are failing in their duty to provide a wind and watertight environment. I am curious as to how I may approach this problem and how I can get help to ensure this problem is dealt with adequately -i.e. that the flooding does not recur. I have complained to my local housing office. The housing officer was dismissive, stating that these houses have this problem/I am not the  only one it happens to/the plumbing may or may not be fixed in the next year depending on the outcome of a tenants survey/the best they can do is try to ensure it's fixed properly - though that cannot be guaranteed. The houses I live in are rumoured to be on the 'demolition' list, but they may instead be 'done up' to last a bit longer,another few years or so  - it is impossible to find out any plans as no one will say. The prospect of having to continue living this way indefinately with constant fear of further flooding, is awful. I feel this is not right either morally or surely legally, but I am unsure both to my rights and the housings full obligations as a landlord and local authority, all and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to explain as best I can, but I will clarify any and all matters if you need me to,if I can.

IP Logged

Deedee

Re: Glasgow Housing Association/flooding
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 1:01pm

Why don't you contact the Legal Services Agency, Renfrew St, Glasgow? I think they have lots of expertise in these kinds of cases and can give you advice which may be free or paid for under the Legal Advice and Assistance Scheme.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009