Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
estate confirmation process ? (Read 9860 times)
ghw123
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

estate confirmation process ?
Jul 30th, 2007 at 2:26am

Hi, my mother died intestate and I have engaged a lawyer to get the 'Confirmation' so the estate can be released.

I'm not sure what this involves or how much it will cost. I would like some estimate of cost if possible and how long this process takes.

I am the only child so there will not be any disputes over who gets what, my mother was an only child and was divorced.

Thank you

IP Logged

Deedee

Re:  estate confirmation process ?
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 11:55am

Ask the solicitor for an estimate.

Some estates are very complex, even if the amount of money involved is not large. For example, if there are small amounts of money in 6/7 bank accounts, 4/5 policies, 8/9 share holdings then that means over 20 different organisations could be involved.

Then the beneficiaries may be scattered over the globe. So the solcitor may have needed to get this kind of information before an estimate can be given.

Time scale would be a minimum of 2 months for the most straightforward  estate comprising one item, to up to 2 years where there are lots of items, estate abroad, missing documents, missing beneficiaries and complicated tax scenarios etc.,

IP Logged

ghw123
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re:  estate confirmation process ?
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 10:29pm

Hi, thanks for the reply,

There are only 2 accounts held with Royal Bank of Scotland so hopefully it shouldn't take to long.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009