Send Topic Print
Introduction (Read 6564 times)
AgentAeon
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Introduction
Aug 5th, 2007 at 10:45pm

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd join this board. I've been accepted into Access to Law at Strathclyde, and then from there I hope to go onto LLB Honours and Pass.

At this time I only have a vague idea of what I'd like to do in the world of law. I do know, however, that I don't want to do criminal law. But... never say never!

Anyway everyone seems very nice and welcoming here Smiley

~ AgentAeon

IP Logged

lean mean judicial machine

Glasgow
Re: Introduction
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 12:50pm

Hey welcome aboard

I did the access at Strathclyde too.  I'm now going into my final year. 

Best of luck

IP Logged

AgentAeon
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 10:02pm

Thanks!

Would you say it's been worth it?

IP Logged

lean mean judicial machine

Glasgow
Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 4:18pm

Depends! Grin

The only advice i can give to anyone embarking on this long journey is only go into law if you know that's exactly what you want to do and your willing to try beat the odds of getting into the diploma and getting a traineeship..  which by the way prove a living nightmare.

I gave up a really good job to study law full time and i really wish i had the information I have now to make a more informed choice. The stress of doing well is always there and the competition and nastiness among law students is extremely rife and nothing I've ever seen before.

Law is a great course however really studying it only seems to impress large businesses and other organisations. Law firms are not easily impressed.  Its getting tougher and tougher every year to get a traineeship.  Diploma places are apparently also really limited (also apparently only 40% or so of students go onto become lawyers)

So really depends what you want to do with law and your determination levels!

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2007 at 10:14am by lean mean judicial machine »  

IP Logged

Azlak
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 1:29pm

I don't start the accelerated LLB until next year but I agree with your never say never approach! I've been working full time for a solicitor for over a year now and to begin with I wanted to work in the court department as I thought it would be much more interesting.

I was put into conveyancing which I knew absolutely nothing about but I have to say it's much more interesting and laid back that I expected. I was surprised to see the one thing I wasn't too interested in would be the thing I would genuinely enjoy. Grin

As far as I'm lead to believe, court work is covered with red tape, especially if Legal Aid is involved. Conveyancers have much more opportunity to cut corners and don't have auditors breathing down their neck quite as much.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009