Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
whats an informal reception? (Read 8535 times)
lean mean judicial machine

Glasgow
whats an informal reception?
Oct 3rd, 2007 at 9:21am

I have been invited to a informal reception for a traineeship next week and I'm feeling totally lost on what to expect and what to wear.   Do i expect a informal interview situation?  Further what sort of questions might they ask?  What should i ask?  etc

Should I wear a suit or seeing as its an informal reception turn up in smart trousers and a shirt?

I'd greatly appreciate any advice anyone can give.

Totally stressed .. Please help!!

IP Logged

Azlak
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: whats an informal reception?
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2007 at 7:33pm

Hmmm, informal would suggest not a suit but then you don't want to appear in jeans and an old tshirt.

Maybe dress smart/casual. If in any doubt thought it may be best to contact the Firm to see what they expect. Either way, I'd make an effort to look smart and professional without being over the top.

Huh  That probably doesn't help much, sorry! I'd maybe give the firm a call. Reception should maybe be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!  Smiley

IP Logged

Glasgow
Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 2:05pm

Thanks that does make a lot of sense. probably won't call the firm that might just make me seem like a right idiot!

any idea if I should expect a informal grilling?  Huh or will the intention of the evening be to just brief us on the firm? Smiley

thanks  Grin

IP Logged

Norse_mann

"at the weekends I'm a
viking"

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 4:54pm

I would not be afraid of calling the firm, you will look as if you are planning ahead not stupid. (just don't do it an hour before you're meant to be there)

I would suggest that you go with smart casual, at the shirt, slacks and brogues end of the scale.

You will probably not get grilled inverview style but be prepared to make small talk with the firms fee earners and appear to be human, literate and able to articulate, don't sit in a clump with people you know from uni, mingle and use the chance to ask the current trainees about the interview process and also the kind of work they are doing for the firm.

DO NOT GET DRUNK unless you really don't want to work there

Lord Denning Rules OK&&&&House of Lords Overrules OK

IP Logged

Glasgow
Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 6:07pm

that makes so much sense. your right I should perhaps take the plunge and call to ask what to expect and dress code.

the smart casual thing though makes complete sense

and good advice I'll steer clear of excessive alcohol consumption
thanks norse mann

IP Logged

Craig87
Newbies

Graduation soon, Yeehah!

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2008 at 1:04pm

What's the firm? Does it have a website? Usually some of the bigger firms will provide feedback on these sort of events.

Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009