Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Visit Amazon.co.uk today Wink
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thinking of moving back to Scotland... (Read 5207 times)
rfc1873
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Texas
Thinking of moving back to Scotland...
Nov 5th, 2007 at 8:56pm

I am a British citizen currently living in the US.   I have been here a little over 9 years and with every passing year I want to move back even more.  I am 22 and I will hopefully be attending law school here in the States next year.  After completing 3 years of law school I will have a JD degree.  I was just wondering if that would allow me to be able to practice law in Scotland without having to go through any special process.  I know the way in which a law degree is obtained in the US and in Scotland is different but I am just curious as to whether the JD will transfer.  I am thinking of doing corporate law or maybe international law (if that helps).

IP Logged

Deedee

Re: Thinking of moving back to Scotland...
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 12:41pm

I don't think I can help you with an answer, but would suggest you look at the Law Society of Scotland's website for information  www.lawscot.org.uk. ; (The Law Soc regulates entry to the profession in Scotland)

What is a JD degree anyway?

IP Logged

rfc1873
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Texas
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 2:44pm

Thanks ill check it out.  A JD (Juris Doctor) is the degree you get after finishing law school in the States, it is required to practice law.

IP Logged

Joe the Doe

Scotland
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 9:10pm

Hi there,

I think you may have to do the accelerate fast-track LLB (2 year course). As far as I know, the J.D. program is incompatible with Scots Law, from what I've heard, and so the fast-track course would be necessary.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009