Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
notary public (Read 35865 times)
zippy
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

notary public
Nov 21st, 2007 at 10:27pm

I've got the forms for it but it mentions a "motto" and seal.

It says the motto need not be original but it gives no details regarding a seal.

Any ideas?

IP Logged

scottishlaw

London
Re: notary public
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 5:42pm

I think you can have a nice classic latin maxim or have a silly one like "Go go gadget pen" or some such as your motto.  I'm an NP but have no idea wht on earth I picked as the motto.  I didn't get the seal either in the end.

Much of the info on what to do and how to doit and when you need a seal should be given to you when you go to see whoever it is that swears you in. 

You may need the motto before then though.

IP Logged

zippy
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 6:41pm

Thanks

The letter said "After swearing the Oath, you should send the impression of your seal and a specimen of your signature upon your headed office notepaper to The Legalisation Office, Old Admiralty Building, The Mall, London, SW1A 2LG."

But i take it that step can be skipped

Although - where would someone actually get a seal from anyway?

IP Logged

grumpy
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 11:10am

are you sure this is Scots law? I never had to do this when I became a NP. Are you English?

IP Logged

zippy
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 4:22pm

i'm pretty sure i'm in Scotland Grin

I can only guess that it's not a compulsory step.  It would seem that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office at the Legalisation Office can add an Apolstille to documents where it's necessary and that Notaries need to apply to have their signature and seal authenticated in advance by them

IP Logged

grumpy
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 11:58am

the law society will guide you on the current rules for becoming an NP.

IP Logged

zippy
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 6:50pm

thanks
i have all the information from them - but, as per the original post, it's a little vague regarding the moto (all it says is that it need not be original - but offers no further guidance).  And there's the bit about the 'seal' but no information on that at all.

IP Logged

grumpy
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 11:18am

There used to be restrictions on the motto you could use but as I understand it, as long as it's not offensive, you can now use anything, latin or otherwise. A friend used "In vino veritas"! I belive that the official who swears you in keeps a book of sample mottos if your stuck.
As for the seal there are companies who will make this for you so you can stamp the seal on docs but this is seldom necessary. Sometimes clients like it (it looks good) and sometimes certain official bodies want it.

IP Logged

scottishlaw

London
Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 10:00am

The seal isn't required in Scotland but it may be in other jurisdictions so if you think you will be notarially executing documents for people who will need to send them to foreign countries then you should get the seal.  I think a copy of this is then registered with the FCO.  Accordign to the Law Society's website:

"The application of the notarial seal is not necessary for Scottish purposes but maybe necessary in other jurisdictions.

Certain documents for use abroad require a signature and notarial seal and to be "legalised" (authenticated) by the Foreign and Commonwealth office in London. See the Hague Convention on legalisation of foreign documents. Notaries should register their signature and seal with the foreign and Commonwealth office for this purpose. Thereafter notarised documents can be sent to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Legalisation Office for the application of the Apostille together with payment of the relevant fee."

The full Law Society guidebook is in the following file:

http://www.lawscot.org.uk/uploads/Professional_Practice/The%20Modern%20Notary%20...

I've never acted as a NP because there seemed to be so many health warnings on acting as an NP outside Scotland it seemed the safest option.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009