Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Graduate LLB (Read 22626 times)
rachinglasgow
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Graduate LLB
Jan 8th, 2008 at 12:41pm

hi all!
i am looking for some advice, pointers, past expeiences etc!! i am a graduate and have (unfortunately very close to the ucas deadline!) realised that i want to return to uni to the graduate LLB course. I graduated last summer with a 2.2 in Eng lit from Glasgow and am frantically trying to get my personal statement together to hopefully secure a place!
From reading some older posts i see that my concerns have been shared by others, mainly that i only have a 2.2 and being quite concerned that this may be not enough to get me onto the course. As such i am determined to make my personal statement totally kick ass so as to hopefully sway the admissions!
As i am sure you all know you can only apply to five institutions and whilst i do wish to attend as good a uni as i can i also don't want to waste an application slot to somewhere i simply have no chance to get in to.
I am wondering if anyone has any advice on my statement, or opinions on different institutions?

at the moment i think i shalll apply to Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, Strathclyde and Stirling. Having reviewed Edinburgh's advice to applicants it is one I don't see any point in applying to as with my 2.2 i think it would be a waste of time.

But perhaps i am wrong? I would really appreciate any advice, comments, thoughts on the subject. I am also rally interested to hear from anyone who is on the course/ has a place to see what you think of it and perhaps your background (eg degree) to gain some idea of the chances i might have.

The ucas deadline is jan 15th so time is of the essence!!

Thanks!!

IP Logged

Norse_mann

"at the weekends I'm a
viking"

Re: Graduate LLB
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 12:54pm

Have you tried phoning the admissions offices of the unis to see if they will consider you without a 2/1.

As you know Edinburgh are very strict about it, Glasgow and Aberdeen may be similar.

I know Strathclyde will consider you with an ordinary degree (at least they used to) and Stirling I would imagine is the same.

Dundee I do not have a clue about.

Lord Denning Rules OK&&&&House of Lords Overrules OK

IP Logged

zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 3:30pm

I think the five you have applied to are probably the correct five. You're right about Edinburgh, though Glasgow aren't as bad as they used to be. Whether you'd be accepted there would likely depend on the number of applicants overall. Either way, I think with a 2.2 at Glasgow you'd more than likely be called to interview before they offered you a place (could be wrong of course).

Strathclyde is absolutely fine - I know several people who have done the LLB there and enjoyed it.

Your English Lit. degree should be fine as an entry qualification, have you covered any law before at any point? Either way, if you could cope with a four year undergrad degee you'll be fine doing the LLB (in my opinion).

I just hope you're ready for the fees since you won't get full SAAS funding!

IP Logged

rachinglasgow
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 1:36pm

Thanks guys!! Got in so am very chuffed!!  just need to decide between Glasgow and Strathclyde now......!

IP Logged

legal bee

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 8:18pm

i've studied at both glasgow and strathclyde and I'd recommend law at strathclyde. you'll go further. the staff are more helpful and results wise you'd get a A's and B's for the subjects you'd get D's for in Glasgow.  this has a impact on getting into diploma. if i could do it again id stay and do law at strathclyde.

good luck though

IP Logged

rachinglasgow
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 1:54pm

thanks for that legal bee.

When you say you would get A's and B's at strathclyde where you would get D's at glasgow do you mean this is reflective of the quality of teaching at strathclyde? Not that the course is easier? 

I have heard a lot of good things about the teaching at strathclyde to be honest, but not really anything about glasgow good or bad.  Anything you think is good or bad about glasgow?
Or anyone else have an opinion?

And just curious what did you study @ glas and strath?

IP Logged

zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 2:27pm

First of all, well done on getting in, with the opportunity to choose between the two, that's great.

Secondly, I'm quite intrigued by what you mean also legalbee? Sounds interesting to hear what you think the differences are that might cause this.

I'd agree that the feedback process is possibly slightly more constructive and two-way at Strathclyde than Glasgow - I've had the recent opportunity to examine feedback a student received on some courseworks from Glasgow (from a student I am privately tutoring), and some of the feedback appears to be critical for the sake of being critical - without any real grounding or necessity for it, and some was in fact legally flawed. But then every lecturer or tutor is different in their gradings, interpretations etc. so it may not be the same for all.

I've known various friends and colleagues who came through the Strathclyde system, and all were very happy with it.

Again though, well done, and in my opinion regardless which you go for you'll be in good hands.

IP Logged

legal bee

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 3:27pm

I started the part time LLB at Strathclyde and then got a offer to do the full time LLB at Glasgow. I went to Glasgow thinking that it was a better institution and that it would carry more weight with future employers.

The Strathclyde staff were amazing. I completely regret switching to Glasgow. I put more work into the subjects at Glasgow and get mediocre grades, mostly C's and D's.  yet when I was at Strathclyde I was a A B student. its not that the course is easier, its just that you kind of know wat to expect in exams and given a lot of support and encouragement.

I recently had a interview at a leading law firm and couldn't believe what one partner said to me during the interview.. She said I should have stayed a Strathclyde as it was had a better school of law and said it was unwise for me to have moved. 

I have had some really good tutors in both places but when it came to the prerequisites for the diploma, I had a really tough time at Glasgow. 

ZR you are correct in that some students just criticise for the sake of it. I like to think my opinion is grounded in my experience, hence my disillusion in the archaic method and manner of teaching at Glasgow. 

RG- one of the reasons you might be hearing less about Glasgow at present is last years NSS survey by 4th year law students at Glasgow that shared some of their experience with the survey, which caused a panic around the staff at the law school. A year on nothings changed and we got told that if we give a bad review it simply looks bad for us as it brings our degree down. Kind of felt like blackmail into staying saying good things or staying quiet. 

The worst part of it is that Glasgow is a great university.  I have many friends and family there but in other departments.  However the differences in the departments doesn't stop to amaze me.  other departments are great at feedback, support etc but this sadly does not extend to the law school.

For example we still don't get lecture notes on the university moodle, if we miss lectures for any reason - our loss.  other departments get all the semester reading together for the students who simply buy the documents.  We have to chase book with 200 other students around the 4 copies in the library.  We hardly get feedback and support from staff- if we do badly in a exam we rarely know why.  Really i could go on and on. 

I hope i haven't put you off. if I have and you had decided to go to Glasgow then I really do wish you the best of luck.  everyone's experience is different and perhaps yours would be different.  Either way i wish you the best

Smiley

IP Logged

zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 4:29pm

legal bee, I think you might have mis-read what I wrote - I wasn't saying the feedback from the student was needlessly critical - I was saying the feedback that the Glasgow Lecturer / Tutor had given the student was needlessly critical. In my opinion of course. So please, I hope you don't think I was having a pop at either RG or yourself, I absolutely wasn't.

To the contrary, I'm very happy to see students taking an interest in a forum such as this - it can only benefit you in the long term to be reading about others broad legal queries and experiences.

IP Logged

legal bee

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 4:40pm

Oops sorry. your right I did mis-read.  In my excitement that my opinion would matter here I rushed in. May i clarify that this does not extend to the way i read exam questions!!  Grin

IP Logged

rachinglasgow
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 2:16pm

Thanks to you both for your feedback, I really appreciate it!!

IP Logged

RaoulDuke66
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 5:11pm

I did the Graduate LLB at Strathclyde after getting a 2:II and now I'm doing the Diploma at GGSL and have a fantastic traineeship lined up! The Diploma obviously has mostly students from Glasgow and Strathclyde. In my experience, the glasgow students seem to have quite worrying gaps in their knowledge. For example, none of them appeared to know what anything about Diligences or Insurance law. I think there were a few fundamental things that really weren't covered in their undergraduate degrees. Also, more than a few Glasgow students are really rude to tutors (including Advocates!) and to other students during negotiations. If I had my time again I would still go to Strathclyde.
However, I might not do the Diploma at GGSL. Since it is mostly assessed through large group projects, there is a huge possibility that you will fail something because of work someone else has done. I have done, and am not amused. It's outwith your control unless you have the time to check the work of three other people as well as doing your own. If at all possible, avoid GGSL for your diploma.
But definitely Strathclyde for your Grad LLB. I think Strathclyde are having an open evening for the course next week.

IP Logged

RaoulDuke66
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 5:15pm

Also, just read the thing someone posted about getting A's and B's at Strathclyde. This isn't true. The class reviews for the classes at Strathclyde show average class marks of around 50% for core subjects such as Domestic Relations and Delict.

IP Logged

zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 6:14pm

To add a bit of balance in this situation - i.e. one claiming A's & B's in place of C's and D's at Strathclyde vs Glasgow, one saying it's not true etc. - Both are worded as blanket statements and the truth may be more of a middle ground.

The A's and B's may well be true for that individual, or a certain grouping of individuals depending on the teaching styles, feedback process etc. that they work best with - however it may not be true overall. Hence my trying to maintain that BOTH universities are good, and that the experience can differ from student to student and lecturer to lecturer.

As for saying that it is definitely NOT true - again, an overall average does not overall reflect the true landscape as often in some year-groups there can be either an entire group of average students creating that statistic, and just as often there can be a poor overall year-group with a few outstanding individuals that drag the overall grade up to that same level (I'm speaking from experience here as I have to deal with these statistics first hand).

The quality of classes REALLY does vary greatly from year to year, so I don't think a student is well equipped to give a full blanket statement about anything other than their own experience or their own year-group (plus the one above / below in some circumstances). To be responsible, both of you should really have qualified your statements by mentioning this.

This semester for example I am lecturing to first, third and honours classes. Having lectured to all years from first through to post-graduate I can say in my experience that there really is no set rule that will be the same from year to year. Both above may have valid points, but both may be entirely untrue in your case.

Both Glasgow and Strathclyde would equip you well for your future career, if you have an idea of your first choice I'd just go with it.

IP Logged

rachinglasgow
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 6:29pm

Well thankyou again, for all your comments.

Zurich Allan, your mediation has confirmed my own thoughts, so thanks.

I didn'y expect to get anything hard and fast from the responses but it is nice to hear what people think.  May I ask where you lecture?  And out of curiosity where did you study? I do have my own preference now between the two, but am goin to the open afternoon/eving at both to meet, greet see what has to be said and try to get a bit more of a feel.

The diploma comments were the first I have heard about it, but would it not perhaps be the same method used at othe institutions? And again this could work greatly to your advantage depending on your peer group ie if you were slightly weaker at a subject then they may improve your grade?

Either way, I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts, I have found this forum a great way to hear what everyone, in all areas of the profession/study think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009