Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Graduate LLB (Read 22584 times)
RaoulDuke66
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Re: Graduate LLB
Reply #15 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 7:10pm

It is true that average marks vary from class-to-class in the core subjects and that a few individuals will get mostly As and Bs. The averages are from around 48% to 55% in every class review I have seen and any mark over 60% gets you a Merit for the class.  Therefore, you should NOT expect to go to Strathclyde and get A's and B's as you were told previously. The reality is very different and that's something that is EXPLICITLY stated on your first day of lectures so that you are not disappoinated with your marks the first time you get them. If you decide to go to Strathclyde you will see this for itself.

Regarding the diploma, you are correct that your experience will depend on who is in your "Firm". For example, my Company and Commercial law group is excellent. But the one firm I have for every other subject is highly disfunctional, largely due to one individual. It has caused me lots of stress and also to fail things for the first time EVER. The GGSL Diploma has an EXCELLENT reputation, around the World! But there is a huge underlying problem with the structure, one which no other Diploma uses. Don't take my word for it. Ask any GGSL Diploma student what they think of the course. But that is something for you to consider much later because the consultation which the law society is undertaking at the moment could radically overhaul everything. Regardless, the teaching structure at GGSL is something you'll want to considering time.

Final remarks: You are in an excellent position having been accepted to both places. Go to the open evenings and get a feel for both uni's. Moreover, in my experience, recruiting firms LOVE graduate entrants. Your maturity and experience is a welcome bonus. Two weeks ago I was at a lecture where the Chief Executive of the law society said that he believes law is unsuitable as a first degree. Lastly, make sure you maximise your marks in all of the core subjects because, as things stand currently, that determines whether or not you get a diploma place, 3k+ of funding and 3k+ of maintenance grant (means tested)!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009