Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
glasgow llm (Read 5083 times)
gillian0220
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

glasgow llm
Feb 28th, 2008 at 6:04am

I am a overseas student and have an offer from glasgow for llm -in  commercial law  in 2008.
Do the glasgow llm graduates have the advantages when hunting job compared with those llm graduated from bristol,durham, warwick?
How glasgow llm be recognized worldwide? Does it really enjoy a good reputation in uk and the whole world?

Is there anyone who were llm of glasgow or are current students of llm?
Thank you very much for your ideas and experience.

IP Logged

legal bee

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Re:  glasgow llm
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 1:09pm

hi im currently a undergrad at the university of Glasgow.  I'm not sure about Glasgow's standing on the LLM in commercial however i thought I'd draw your attention to the Post Grad open day this Thursday (5/3/08) depending on how far overseas you are to attend...

I'm currently contemplating the LLM in commercial at Glasgow too and will be going to the open day where certain lecturers etc will be at hand to talk to people about it.   

If you have any specific questions in regard to the course i would be happy to ask for you. However i really don't think the information your currently looking for is going to available from the lecturers or the university.

Glasgow as a university does enjoy a great reputation. it was in the top 100 not long ago however i have no idea as to what its position is regarding the advantages when job hunting or compared to the bristol etc. 

Hope I've helped  Smiley

IP Logged

zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Re:  glasgow llm
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 6:24pm

gillian0220, in short, yes Glasgow has a good overall reputation in the UK - Probably the third best reputation in Scotland behind only St Andrews and Edinburgh. You'd be in safe hands doing your LLM there.

As for employment advantages after? Well what type of employment do you mean? Legal or academic? With the LLM I'm guessing academic, in which case competition for academic positions is fierce and so it is very much about the individual so long as they have the appropriate qualifications / experience. So whether you'd have an advantage would very much depend on your own desires and approaches.

If it's a legal position, and you're already qualified and looking to specify in commercial then I'd say you'd have a big advantage over a raw diploma recruit if you took the LLM.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009