Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
a course in mediation? (Read 5599 times)
legal bee

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
a course in mediation?
Mar 30th, 2008 at 11:30am

I have a really random question.. Im really interested in dispute resolution and mediation (civil/commercial) and notice a few expensive courses that are mainly a week long and held in various parts of England.  The information I'm currently getting from the internet is so confusing and hardly anything relates to Scotland. 

Now before I fork out and undertake one to learn more about the field, can the current practitioners or indeed anyone that knows anything about the legal field comment on the following:

1) Whether i really could learn enough in a week to justify spending somewhere in the region of 1,500 or thereabouts?

2) How would i go about making sure it is a recognised course?  does it have to be accredited? is there a recognised body here in Scotland overseeeing mediators etc? 

3) Can anyone recommend a course from personal experience?

4) Would potential employers looking to hire a trainee see it as a bonus?

Any help would be so appreciated

Thanking all in anticipation

legal bee  Smiley

IP Logged

legal bee

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Re: a course in mediation?
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 9:19am

oh practising solicitors where are thou?  any opinion on the matter would be soooo appreciated..

please please comment 

Smiley

IP Logged

zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 4:47pm

All I can really help to answer are 1) & 4)....

Yes, you can definitely learn a fair amount in a one week course, this sort of course would usually be used as CPD for a practicing solicitor, and so should be beneficial. Just make sure you take lots of notes, or keep hold of any handouts given so that you can always refer back to them in the future (that way you have something hard to keep from the event).

Absolutely a firm looking to take on new trainees would see it as a big plus. It's often very difficult for firms taking on raw graduates to split them as they all have very similar grades and by the time they've graduated most can communicate very well, and appear professional. Having taken the initiative to actually do something like this to further yourself would make you stand out as not too many other potential recruits will have.

As for accreditation of these courses etc. I'm not sure, perhaps somebody else can help you out with this...

IP Logged

legal bee

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 5:51pm

Thank you so much ZA.  I really appreciate your comments on the matter. 

Smiley

IP Logged

legal bee

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 12:48pm

does anyone else have any opinions,comments, in fact anything related to the above? 

Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009