Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LLB v BA (Read 3356 times)
Riks
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

LLB v BA
Apr 4th, 2008 at 4:24pm

I returned to study as a mature student a few years back, and I chose to study Law. As it stands 
I am about to finish a BA Law from University 
I want to know if anyone has info on any future changes in the way to becoming a practising Solicitor in Scotland. I am aware that even though the BA has covered all core subjects I still need to complete the LLb?. It seems idiotic to me.Why offer two law degrees? Is one law degree better than the other?Is this not a little unfair (in the eyes of the law?) In England you can apply to become a practising Solicitor without a LAW degree altogether just a degree and then a GDL and LPC (similar to the diploma)

Can any one advise a very frustrated youngish man!!!!!! Undecided

IP Logged

zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Re: LLB v BA
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 4:39pm

Hi there, no you don't have to do the LLB, you can also qualify as a solicitor in Scotland by finding a firm to work for that will put you through the Law Society exams. You can apply for exemptions from some of the subjects assuming the ones you have studied on your BA are sufficiently similar, leaving you with a not-too-long list of subjects that you won't have already covered outstanding and requiring completion.

There are however only around 20-30 people per year that qualify per year using this route as the LLB is by far the more conventional option. (There are various reasons for this low number)

If you've completed the BA, taking the Law Society exams may be a good option for you as you'd be able to find work as a paralegal for the interim period relatively easily so you may be able to persuade a firm to support you through the exams from a good bargaining position.

You'd still have to complete the diploma of course.

Hope that helps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009