Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Supreme Court / House of Lords (Read 4001 times)
zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Supreme Court / House of Lords
May 4th, 2008 at 9:09pm

Just thought I'd attempt to stimulate a little activity on the forum outside of the usual law questions being posed from visitors, so I thought of a couple of areas that hopefully people may be interested in.... (or maybe not!  Smiley )

So what are others opinions on the upcoming establishment of the supreme court and subsequent removal of authority from the Law Lords? Do you think it is a good or bad thing?

Personally I'm of the belief that in the long term it could be a good thing, but I'd expect some teething problems for the first couple of years.

I'll be interested to hear of other opinions and insights.

IP Logged

Liberty Scotland
Newbies

Campaigning for Human
Rights and Fundamental
Freed

Glasgow
Re: Supreme Court / House of Lords
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:07am

Hi ZA,

How can there be a rule of law when the senior law lords sit in the second house of the legislature. IMHO, this was utter madness and the formation of the Supreme Court was long overdue. I would also say that the U.K was 'terra nullus' while the HOL had a judicial role.

IMHO, every decision they have ever made is null and void. Donoghue v Stevenson et al. No matter what caveats they quickly spouted after McGonnel v The UK was announced by the EctHR.

Do you agree?

Liberty Scotland.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009