Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Law Strathclyde REJECTION - Appeal? Help please!!! (Read 8184 times)
bamboozled
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Law Strathclyde REJECTION - Appeal? Help please!!!
May 18th, 2008 at 10:27am

Help please!!!!

I really want to study Law LLB this year and applied to strathclyde and got rejected. They rejected me due to insufficient grades in 5th year, however, in 6th year I will do much much better.

What really annoys me and I felt they overlooked was the fact that my mediocre grades were truly due to legitimate reasons of familly illness etc. Which I did mention in my Personal Statement.

However, in August I will have a wider arsenal of grades and therefore my question is, if I called up Strathclyde admissions in August and said look I got these grades now going to let me in? Would that work lol?

Is there any other way, at all I could use to try and get in?

I have an offer also to study Business Law at Strath and Law LLB at glsagow Caledonian , which as I am sure you will know will not really help me in tte long term due to its reputation and teaching standards.

And also does anybody know from experience in Strathclyde who is the top dog when it comes to admissions. I am aware Cathy Smith is Senior admissions for undergrads, however, I really need to go above her as I dont even see her as even willing to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advace. I apologse for the long rant but I am just really annoyed that regardless of a kicks ass Personal statement and reference, due to me obtaing ABB higher this year due to HONEST reasons it does not matter to the uni because all they really care about is the grades you got there and then!! Any advice?

Thanks
Bamboolzed123

IP Logged

zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Re: Law Strathclyde REJECTION - Appeal? Help pleas
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2008 at 12:31pm

I have already answered all of this in full on your other thread, and I speak from experience being a university lecturer, so you can trust that what I'm saying is correct.

To tidy up your additional points, it is not possible for you to go above the admissions officer, universities get literally thousands of applications every year, and as such systems are in place for a reason. Plus, in a departmental sense, there is not usually anybody above the senior admissions officer. There are Deans and Principles etc. that they will report to, however they will not work in the area of admissions itself and as such any admissions queries will just be sent back to the admissions officer. The only way you can appeal the decision is to call up the university and ask to speak to the officer in question and inquire if there is a way to submit a written appeal to them that will explain (with evidence) the reason why you did not meet the grades you were expecting. You would HAVE to have had predicted grades (usually from prelim exams) that were of the entry standard in this case otherwise any appeal will fail.

I understand that it can be frustrating, and I see that you have written that the universities only 'care' about grades. Well this is not quite true, but when a university receives perhaps a thousand applications for a course that may only have a hundred places, and over a hundred already have the required grades, or nearly the required grades with more exam results to wait for, what else can they do but accept the people that have the proven grades?

It would be much more unfair to reject somebody who has the grades and take somebody on who hasn't but MAY have legitimate reasons why, than vice versa since at the end of the day one has proven themselves and one has not YET.

The situation would be entirely different for a less popular course where there may be those who don't reach the entry requirements yet there are still spaces left. THEN the personal statements and references would come into play a lot more.

I understand that you are quite young, and I do not want to appear condescending, however you do appear to be quite naive and a little immature in making statements in a factual context about not wanting to go to Glas Cal because of it's 'reputation' and 'teaching standards'. What reputation? The reputation amongst school pupils? Or elitest snobbery? And why would you think that the teaching standards are poor? Whose say-so are you basing this on? It comes across as rather arrogant for a school pupil with no experience whatsoever to make a sweeping statement like that.

Rather than creating another thread to say the same thing, I'd suggest for you to take constructive steps forward that you read everything I've written on your first thread, as they are the ONLY ways for you to progress in the direction you want to.

IP Logged

bamboozled
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2008 at 3:38pm

I appreciate all your points, and I have pm you.

I will fully respond to all points later, however, I just wanted to point out that I will have the required grades but only in reverse order.

I have ABB5th year

I have been predicted AAAC 6th year

I do see where you are coming from in that I have yet to prove myself while others have, but that just annoyed me a little more. because dispite my predicitons I failed to reach a thresehold which I was not told about of AAA.

But thank you anyway
Bamboozled

IP Logged

MrEdinburgh
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2008 at 6:01pm

You could also try one of the other universities.

It might be a bit late, but the grades do differ slightly for LLB entry at each institution - e.g. Napier, Caledonian, Stirling, RGU, Abertay etc - there may be some places left. One or two places may pop up at clearing if you're quick.

Might be a good option and save you having to do the BA.  I think at Napier where I am, even if you do the BA Law first, you still have to start in year 1 of the LLB.  It's down to Law Soc accreditation etc.

N.

IP Logged

brothermalcolm
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 12:59pm

zurich_allan wrote on May 18th, 2008 at 12:31pm:
I understand that you are quite young, and I do not want to appear condescending, however you do appear to be quite naive and a little immature in making statements in a factual context about not wanting to go to Glas Cal because of it's 'reputation' and 'teaching standards'. What reputation? The reputation amongst school pupils? Or elitest snobbery? And why would you think that the teaching standards are poor? Whose say-so are you basing this on? It comes across as rather arrogant for a school pupil with no experience whatsoever to make a sweeping statement like that.

I agree 100% with Zurich. I graduated from Glas Cal with a 2:1 hons and now doing a traineeship with one of the biggest firms in the UK. Many of my peers have ended up in similar positions, including Shepperd & Wedderburn, D&W and MMS. I hate it when people jump to ridiculous conclusions like the one intimated by bamboozled, its very arrogant and inaccurate.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009