Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm looking for a bit of advice please (Read 3634 times)
Antoinette
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

I'm looking for a bit of advice please
Nov 21st, 2008 at 3:18pm

I did an LLB in Ireland many moons ago but afterwards decided to change career and went into banking.
I have been living in Scotland now for 5 years and am shortly moving to Kilmarnock. I am thoroughly
disillusioned with banking to put it mildly, and have decided to return to law.

I am a single parent of one and have always been self-sufficient, however having been in contact with the
Law Society in Edinburgh it would appear my previous qualification holds no weight.  Therefore my choices
are

A ) To return to Uni full time ( financially impossible ).

or

B) To work for a solicitor here and complete my training that way.

So my questions are, is there funding available to assist a mature ( 35, ahem )  student returning to Uni ?
Also, where is the best place for me to look for a position in a local firm ? I've tried S1 jobs and
Scot Careers with little or no success.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Antoinette  Smiley

IP Logged

mr_physical
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: I'm looking for a bit of advice please
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 8:57pm

Don't know about funding.  See my reply to Legal Bee about availablity of jobs.  However there may be jobs available, but don't expect to see them advertised.  If  you were running a business in which there were more possible employees than posts available would you watse money on advertising?  It's time to return to the old-fashioned way of finding a job with a solicitor. (The way I did it thirty years ago -  no legal recruitment agencies then.)    Find out about each of the firms in the Kilmarnock area and write personal letters to them with your CV.  Sell yourself and make it look as if you know about the firm, really want to work for them and will fit in.  Even if they don't have vacancies now, an impressive approach may stick in the managing partnber's memory and they may come back to you in future.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009