Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Visit Amazon.co.uk today Wink
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
change of career to law opinions please.. (Read 9498 times)
confused25
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

change of career to law opinions please..
Jan 6th, 2009 at 11:22pm

Hi All

I am 25 years old graduated with a 2.1 in business in 2005 I have worked in the civil service and a consulting firm I am now looking at a change of career in law. I have been looking at the two year accelerated courses. I would really like some advice and guidence on things like starting salary for traineeships  and earning capacity for the proffeson in general etc?  have not seem to be able to find a huge amount of info some seem to be quite decent 23- 27k some at abt 12k. I am particulary interested in becoming a solicitor.  Am I right in saying I will on completion of the LLB need to do a year diploma?? Also how difficult is it to get trainneships and will the fact that I am a little older be a disadvantage?

Thanks

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Re: change of career to law opinions please..
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 3:35pm

You are correct re the diploma. Once you graduate, you must complete the Diploma in Legal Practice. It is a compulsory requirement before you are admitted as a solicitor. Once you do this, you then move on to do your traineeship. However, bear in mind that most legal firms recruit trainees 2 years in advance. I think the figures you give for trainee salary are a tad overkill. Perhaps for a very very large successful firm. The Law Society average for a first year trainee is between 15000 and 17000.
Your age should be no disadvantage, indeed there are laws in force which mean that you cannot be discriminated against on the basis of your age. If anything, you should be able to demonstrate more life experience being older, and this will come in especially useful for any competency based questions in interviews.

IP Logged

John Smith
Newbies

I'm new!

Re: change of career to law opinions please..
Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 1:26pm

I agree with your statement. You are absolutely right.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009