Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making the shift to law..anyone else done it?? (Read 3578 times)
confused25
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Making the shift to law..anyone else done it??
Jan 13th, 2009 at 12:07pm

Hi All

I graduated from strath uni with a 2.1 in business about three years ago. Worked in the civil service and a large consulting firm. I am now really thinking about making a shift to law, I had some experience in the legal departments of these two jobs and quite enjoyed it. I will be 25 on starting the course( If I get in).

Is there anyone else who has made the shift? how did you find it obviously it means giving up steady income for two years and possibly depending on who you get your traineeship with  being on a lower income for a while.

Any opinions especially from those who have taken this path, do you love it hate it regret it? How hard is it to get a trainning contract after. A friend of mine just started the conversion course this year and he has already managed to secure a contract upon graduation is this common or is his simply exceptional circumstance.

Thanks

IP Logged

badfelafel

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Re: Making the shift to law..anyone else done it??
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 12:19am

About 15 years ago I did Business Law at Strath, and after 10 years of working for charities came back to do the 2 year LLB.  Am nearly finished the diploma.

I had wanted to be in law for ages, and it is brilliant, and have enjoyed the course.  Have a traineeship starting soon.

The only reasons not to do it are that you have to give up your income to study (ouch) and there aren't many traineeships just now - some students are being asked to defer.  But by the time you finish the course, things might be back on track again.

If you are really interested in law, definitely do it!  PM me if you want more info Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009