Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pt llb not honours - does it matter? (Read 6488 times)
julesg59
Newbies

Edinburgh
pt llb not honours - does it matter?
Jan 29th, 2009 at 10:16am

Hello, 

I am considering doing the pt LLB at Napier as I can't afford the full time 2yr degree.  I noticed that the course is not an honours course and you only do 80 credits a year, when a full time degree would be 120 a year.  Does anyone know how this will affect the chances of getting on a Diploma course at the end?  And how heavy is the workload?  I have two kids and am working pt at the moment but this may need to change...

Any advice much appreciated,

Juliet

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Re: pt llb not honours - does it matter?
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 12:35pm

Getting into the DLP depends on the results you get in your ordinary subjects. However, because competition for places on the DLP is so high, I doubt you would get a place without an Honours degree. I also very much doubt that you would get a traineeship without an Honours deegree.

IP Logged

john deed
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 3:09pm

yes you will get into the diploma with an ordinary degree if your marks are high enough. I got a funded place with a part-time ordinary degree. the honours mark is not considered in the application process only the law society core subjects otherwise entrants sitting the law society exams would never get into the DLP . It's also easier to get good marks as you only do 2 subjects per semester which makes the study burden less. you can also get a traineeship with most of the big firms. I have a traineeship with one of the big firms and was offered interviews with most of their competitors. Honours is irrelevant.

IP Logged

julesg59
Newbies

Edinburgh
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 3:29pm

that's good to know John, thanks for that.  I have been trying to get into law for a while now - was due to do a paralegal course with CLT/Strathclyde but that fell through due to lack of applicants so pt study is now my next option.  Should be better in the long run too!  Maybe I'll graduate just as the economy recovers!

Juliet

IP Logged

xx-claire-xx
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 8:58pm

Hi, as said the diploma spaces are allocated based on performance in the professional subjects. I did the 4 year LLB at Edinburgh so I don't know about workload re. p/t degree but my 1st two years were pretty intense! The DLP currently costs approx 5K and fundings not guaranteed, Ive had to take a career development loan. However, I think the DLP/entire legal training is currently under review by the law society so things may change in the next few years. Hopefully things will pick up as I think the main issue now is lack of traineeships. Good luck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009