Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Glasgow or Strathclyde for accelerated law?? (Read 18609 times)
confused25
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow or Strathclyde for accelerated law??
Mar 12th, 2009 at 9:19am

Hi guys

Ive been accepted into the accelerated course for glasgow and strath so chuffed, I cannot wait till september now. But I am having a hard time deciding which one to choose, I pI am leaning towards glasgow for conveince and I have the open day soon but I did my underggrad in strathclyde and loved it . I ave some friends who studies in glasgow they said th teaching was a bit rubbish.

Any opinions also if anyone else is joing thieither of these courses in 2009 please get in touch!

IP Logged

Craig87
Newbies

Graduation soon, Yeehah!

Re: Glasgow or Strathclyde for accelerated law??
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 2:08pm

Not that I'm an expert on Glasgow...or Strathclyde...or the Accelerated LLB (!), but I think if you loved Strathclyde, then go there again. It's hard to go by league rankings these days, since there's different tables (World, UK, Scottish, by subject, etc); but from what I gather both are highly respectable and you're unlikely to gain a significantly better education (or prospects) by opting for Glasgow. So just stick to what you know!

IP Logged

louise107
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2009 at 1:06am

'confused 25' I am in a similar position.  I am trying to decide between Glasgow, Strathclyde, Dundee and Stirling- depending on my final grade!  I am currently doing my BA at Stirling and love it, yet was previously advised to go to either Edinburgh or Glasgow.  I know very little about Strathclyde and Dundee and as Stirling have not provided the course for very long I am a bit wary.

I obviously want to go to the University which is more likely to get me a job in the end, and as I will be paying for all my fees I want to do the best that I can.  I know that generally some Universities are regarded as having harsher markers and therefore want to also base my choice on the University that seems to have the best layout.

Any help and advise would be great- time is quickly running out!!

IP Logged

john deed
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - May 12th, 2009 at 11:14am

did my llb at strathclyde - albeit part-time and it was generally a positive experience.

IP Logged

confused25
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2009 at 12:57pm

Hi Louise

Good to hear from you. Ive decided to go with Glasgow, mainly two reasons, I did my undergrad in strath and loved it however thought it might be good to try somewhere different. Secondly Glasgow are bringing in a new diploma course that allows u to study in the states , also u can combine the diploma with the advocate modules so u can qualify with both.

Any closer to a decision yet? Dnt worry end of the day they are both really good unis its just personal preference

IP Logged

louise107
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2009 at 12:11am

Not really, although thankyou for the extra information regarding the diploma.  I think I may have to simply compare the pros and cons of each and then make a decision- as you said they are both good Universities.

Also, do you know whether doing the accelerated LLB and therefore not doing honours has an effect on entry into the diploma?

Thanks

IP Logged

confused25
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2009 at 8:22am

louise107 wrote on May 13th, 2009 at 12:11am:
Not really, although thankyou for the extra information regarding the diploma. I think I may have to simply compare the pros and cons of each and then make a decision- as you said they are both good Universities.

Also, do you know whether doing the accelerated LLB and therefore not doing honours has an effect on entry into the diploma?

Thanks

Hi Louise

I do not think it does as you require a 2.1 to get into the accelerated LLB in Glasgow or Strath so U do have a hon. You can do the LLB hon if you want but I think its quite redundant well that is the impression I got from the open day. I dnt think you have any issues I was told the majority of grads actually go into law on completiton as oppose to a lot of the 4 year grads who go into other lines. I know that you do not need a law degree to apply for a traineeship in an english law firm but u need one here.

Its a lot of info isnt it? Im going to get in contact with a few of the grads already at Glasgow get their opinion on things.

Good luck with your decision, and if you decide on Glasgow I will see you in Sept!

Please get in contact if you have anymore questions

S

IP Logged

zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Reply #7 - May 13th, 2009 at 9:35am

confused25 wrote on May 13th, 2009 at 8:22am:
louise107 wrote on May 13th, 2009 at 12:11am:
Not really, although thankyou for the extra information regarding the diploma. I think I may have to simply compare the pros and cons of each and then make a decision- as you said they are both good Universities.

Thanks

Hi Louise

I do not think it does as you require a 2.1 to get into the accelerated LLB in Glasgow or Strath so U do have a hon. You can do the LLB hon if you want but I think its quite redundant well that is the impression I got from the open day. I dnt think you have any issues I was told the majority of grads actually go into law on completiton as oppose to a lot of the 4 year grads who go into other lines. I know that you do not need a law degree to apply for a traineeship in an english law firm but u need one here.

Its a lot of info isnt it? Im going to get in contact with a few of the grads already at Glasgow get their opinion on things.

Good luck with your decision, and if you decide on Glasgow I will see you in Sept!

Please get in contact if you have anymore questions

S

Just to correct a little inaccuracy. You don't need a 2.1 to get into the accelerated LLB at Strathclyde, you can get in with an ordinary degree, though you would have to ensure decent grades in your degree year (no worse than B1's) to be confident in getting a place otherwise you may miss out. Also in previous years plenty of applicants with a 2.2 have gained places on the course.

It is true however that whilst the hons year of the LLB is interesting and potentially useful depending on what area of the law you plan on going into, it is not necessary for gaining a place on the diploma.

IP Logged

john deed
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - May 14th, 2009 at 9:37am

honours is not a factor in diploma entry. the places are allocated according to your marks in the law society core subjects only.

IP Logged

louise107
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - May 14th, 2009 at 1:11pm

Thankyou all for your help- it makes it all a little less stressful being able to speak to others about it!  I know how competitive places are for the Diploma so I am relieved to hear that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009