Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
traineeship with COPFS (Read 8904 times)
whizzkidd
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

traineeship with COPFS
Mar 20th, 2009 at 2:36pm

Firstly i want to start by saying this is a fantastic forum and I'm glad i came across it.

Now my problem- i have a interview with the crown office and procurator fiscal services an  dont know what to expect. Has anyone had an interview with them? Whats the interview like? Apparently they use the "STAR" method of interviewing, which google has enlightened me on. What kind of questions do they ask etc? What should i ask?

also if i train in criminal court work am i limited to criminal work? 

Any pointers greatly appreciated
thanks all

IP Logged

grumpy
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: traineeship with COPFS
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 10:18am

I can't comment on what they will ask. On your last point no you will not be restricted to doing criminal law later. Some firms will prefer someone with a broader tarining but some don't care as they often "retrain" you as a first year assistant anyway. Given the current climate it is more important to get any kind of traineeship rather than worry about its content as they are like gold dust at the moment.

IP Logged

Norse_mann

"at the weekends I'm a
viking"

Re: traineeship with COPFS
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 5:01pm

I cannot speak with any authority (my only experience is that I flunked a COPFS trainee interview many years ago) but I would imagine they will be looking for awareness of current issues in criminal law, such as the summary justice review as well as a reasonable knowledge of criminal/evidential law.

As grumpy says you will not be bound to only doing criminal law and given the current climate....

edited 21/3/2009 - typos

Lord Denning Rules OK&&&&House of Lords Overrules OK

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009