Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Some legal advice needed plz. (Read 4955 times)
john0745
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Some legal advice needed plz.
May 14th, 2009 at 4:19pm

ill try and keep this short. Smiley

My neice and her boyfriend recently split, they have a 4month old son.
  my neice let him have the baby on a monday and thursday to stay overnight ( his choice ), and sometimes maybe a saturday or a sunday, again (his choice).
  last week the baby stayed over with him and his "MUM" till the tuesday. he was supposed to return the baby back to my neice at 4pm.. but he phoned her and told her he wouldnt be bringing him back at all. (Obviously him and his mum have been doing a bit of reading up on fathers right's). he promptly told her "there is nothing you can do about it !!!!!!!!!!.
  P.S.. my neice doesnt want to keep the baby from his dad/
Anyway.. she phoned the police to have her baby returned to her. "BUT" the police told her they can only advise him to return the baby to mum ( they couldnt just take him)...
Now she doesnt want to hand him over in the event he does the same thing again. is there anything she can do if this "DID" happen again.??
I know she can contact a lawyer, but it seems to me that if he did keep the baby there would be nothing that my neice could do untill it went to court ?
She only wants reassurannce that the baby would come back to her at the specific time decided.
shes scared he might do it again.... please help/

Kind regards..................................................................JOHN

IP Logged

Lil Mo

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Re: Some legal advice needed plz.
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2009 at 4:32pm

Hi,

The best advice I would give is that your Niece arranges to see a Lawyer asap to have some sort of agreement drawn up, I am not sure but think this can be done in the interim before it would go to a full Court Hearing. 

In the meantime, I would advise her not to allow overnight contact or indeed any contact whereby the baby's father has the child on his own, but only when the child's Mother is also there until this issue is resolved, and also have someone else with her that can offer her a bit of moral support should the father turn nasty in any way.  Should the father object to this, all she need do would be to remind him of his and his mothers actions on the previous occasion, and tell him that she is not comfortable allowing him access on his own as a result of this.  Subtly, reminding him that it was him who started all this in the first place by making threats of not returning the child.

Hope this helps.

Mo

IP Logged

john0745
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2009 at 4:46pm

Sound advice i would say.. thank you Lil Mo.

So basicaly she could contact a lawyer, get a contract drawn up that he would need to sighn ? and after this if he didnt return the baby, he could be arrested ???

thanks so much for the reply/

kind regards...................................................John

IP Logged

Lil Mo

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #3 - May 14th, 2009 at 4:55pm

Hi John,

Effectively he (the father) would need to get himself a Lawyer, and the two Lawyers would draw up an agreement which they would both have to agree to.  What I would say the sooner your Niece contacts a Lawyer the better, that way she cannot be accused of being awkward in any way, and shows that she is wiling to allow access by the baby's father, but putting it on a formal footing.

Good Luck

Mo  Smiley

IP Logged

john0745
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2009 at 5:11pm

thank you again Lil Mo.. apreciated.

kind regards.........................................John

IP Logged

john0745
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2009 at 4:40am

She has a appointment for wed 20th,  any advice on what question's she should ask ?
Like !!!!! 
if he sighn's an aggrement for the baby to be returned, and its aggreed by all party's, would my niece be able to phone police to have the baby returned ?

Im only asking this as it's not realy a court aggrement.????

Its not a problem to go get him back... but id rather stick by the rules off the law. if i have to, Roll Eyes

off to work now,,kind regards,,,,....................................................John

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2009 at 10:47am

Re police: No, the police tend not to become involved in civil disputes. They have their hands full with the real criminals.

IP Logged

Lil Mo

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #7 - May 19th, 2009 at 2:32pm

Hi John,

Best to just disregard the last poster, we all do.

With regards to your question, I am not sure, though one of the more Senior Members who are fully qualified will be able to advise you better on that one.  Sorry I cant be more helpful, but am sure one of them will be on soon to answer your question.  I am glad you Neice is seeing someone about it really soon as I said before that way she is keeping herself right, the Lawyer that she is seeing should also be able to advise on your question.

Mo  Smiley

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2009 at 10:52pm

Mo, keep your wig on love. The police will not get involved in civil disputes, especially of the type the OP described.

IP Logged

john0745
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - May 20th, 2009 at 1:02am

Lil Mo wrote on May 19th, 2009 at 2:32pm:
Hi John,
Sorry I cant be more helpful, but am sure one of them will be on soon to answer your question.

Mo Smiley

thats not a problem Lil Mo.. your advice on my first post was excellent..thats the reason she has this appointment, so thank you.

Kind regards..........................................  John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009