Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wish to obtain LLB Scottish Law (Read 23793 times)
Annabelle_Louise

I Love YaBB 2!

Wish to obtain LLB Scottish Law
Jun 30th, 2009 at 9:18pm

Hi.

I am having a struggle at the moment. I wish to begin my law degree and gain my LLB (hons), however the only option available to me at the moment is learning at home. I have found courses aplenty however they only result in an English recognised degree, even the OU in Scotland! I have contacted the Law Society of Scotland to enquire if they are aware of any distance/OU course which will allow me to gain LLB recognised in Scotland but they haven't replied as yet  Sad

The only option for my situation appears to be to gain an English LLB then convert, but this just seems a bit silly when I live in Scotland and want to learn here with a Scottish learning provider.

Does anyone know of any distance learning/OU/learning at home where I could gain a Scottish recognised LLB? (I do reside in Scotland).

I cannot attend a full time or part time course as there are none available in my area and thus would invlove a significant relocation. Relocating is not an option for me and isn't likely to be for a good number of years. Help!

IP Logged

grumpy
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Wish to obtain LLB Scottish Law
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 10:13pm

There are no distance learning Llbs in Scotland. This can only be done at a university that provides the llb course so relocation seems necessary. The only alternative is to get work in a legal practice and do the Law Society exams over a number of years.

IP Logged

Annabelle_Louise

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2009 at 12:08am

Thank you Grumpy. I think I'll have to go for the LLB in English Law and convert, as relocation is not an option at the moment. (Family commitments) From what I have gathered, it's very difficult for graduates to secure training with a Law firm, so I believe it would be near to impossible for me to secure a place. I will of course seek that route first though as I am not intending beginning the degree until next year, that is if I get accepted on a course!

IP Logged

john deed
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2009 at 10:32am

there is the option of the part-time study at night offered by both Strathclyde & Caley and with a bit of judicious choosing of subjects and the use of webcasts/podcasts you can do the course without being on campus too often

IP Logged

CC87
Newbies

Falkirk
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 2:05pm

By the time you graduate, the jobs market should be a bit better. I've just graduated with my LL.B, and I'm doing an LL.M in Commercial Law at Ed because I couldn't get a traineeship last year, so I need to apply again this year for 2011, and fill in a year. Got an interview at Shep Wedd already so it's not that bad (although I note that Dundas & Wilson aren't recruiting at all!) When you graduate in a few years the economic climate will have stabilised and hopefully this will have a positive effect on trainee recruitment.

Craig

IP Logged

Liz Salisbury
Newbies

Studying and luved up!

Wick, caithness
Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 9:24pm

hi, am just starting my LLb Law degree, its with ICS learning, its great! As like you i can only study at home, (other college and work/family commitments). maybe you should check it out on there website. Hope you find an answer!

God, grant me the serenity to &&Accept the things I cannot change&&Courage to change the things I can and&&Wisdom to know the difference&&
Liz Salisbury  
IP Logged

Annabelle_Louise

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 1:58pm

Woo hoo!

I've had a reply to an email I sent to a lecturer of a Uni. They are looking at commencing a distance learning LLB course in 2010/2011. Entry is principally for graduates however they will have some places in addition for non-graduates who have decent formal educational grades and who can demonstrate significant relevant industry experience. I'm not a graduate but I may qualify under the non graduate scheme.

I am going to commence some law courses with the OU first and then hopefully commence the LLB in 2011 if the distance learning does get off the ground at this Uni.

It's RGU if anyone is interested.

IP Logged

xv255
Newbies

North Of Scotland
Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 11:31am

Hi I am interested in this. Could you email the contact details. What happens after obtaining the degree are you on your own to find a traineeships?

IP Logged

Annabelle_Louise

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 9:04pm

I'm sorry I don't have permission to pass on the contact details of the lecturer. You can contact RGU via their website to enquire about it, and they will add your contact details to the list of people who are interested.

IP Logged

John Smith
Newbies

I'm new!

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 1:20pm

I think there is the option of the part-time study at night offered by both Strathclyde & Caley. It will be helpful. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009