Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Work experience during uni (Read 6595 times)
Breadandcheese
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Work experience during uni
Aug 20th, 2009 at 4:54pm

Hello all,

I've graduated with my LL.B. Originally I had very little intention of going into the legal profession - I did my degree for its academic merits, because I enjoyed it and because it seemed broad enough to be useful to a number of employers. In my last year, however, I became more inclined towards the idea of practicing. So I have arrange a diploma place, but I still lack law-based work experience. So, this summer being something of a bust, I'm pretty stuck for time.

Would it be possible/common for a student to be given work experience during the ordinary academic year for, say, a day and maybe a couple of afternoons a week, whilst obviously attending classes at other times? I imagine it won't help being in one of the smaller cities, Aberdeen in this case, but I'd certainly be interested to see if anyone has been engaged in anything similar.

IP Logged

CC87
Newbies

Falkirk
Re: Work experience during uni
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2009 at 11:13am

You probably won't find anything with the bigger firms in Aberdeen - they have set recruitment periods. But I'm sure a small practice might be more positive to taking you in now and then. Have you got a Diploma place? Which year are you looking for a traineeship to begin?

IP Logged

Breadandcheese
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 11:56pm

CC87 wrote on Aug 24th, 2009 at 11:13am:
You probably won't find anything with the bigger firms in Aberdeen - they have set recruitment periods. But I'm sure a small practice might be more positive to taking you in now and then. Have you got a Diploma place? Which year are you looking for a traineeship to begin?

It would certainly be handy. Yes, I have a diploma place at Aberdeen for this year. Unfortunately, I'm new to the city, having done my degree elsewhere.

IP Logged

finequine
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 9:31am

I also have this query. Am studying the diploma at Aberdeen and am trying to figure out how many hours can be devoted to work outwith the course.

Does anyone have a sample timetable for the Diploma in Aberdeen?

IP Logged

Breadandcheese
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 4:00pm

finequine wrote on Aug 26th, 2009 at 9:31am:
I also have this query. Am studying the diploma at Aberdeen and am trying to figure out how many hours can be devoted to work outwith the course.

Hello.

Yes - I emailed the Department asking vaguely similar stuff, and they emailed me last year's Semester 1 timetable, which apparently doesn't change very much year-to-year. Since there doesn't seem to be an attachment function here, I've uploaded it to one of those file-hosting sites http://www.quickfilepost.com/download.do?get=ad8988a4c563a779b64703f6a0e30bf2 - sorry about all the adverts and stuff.

As for the working thing, someone posted in the 'Diploma - worth it?' thread (http://www.scottishlaw.org.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1244239780/6#6) saying:

"I was at Aberdeen. 14 hours a week max.

I managed to hold down a 40 hour a week job, and a 16 hour a week job along with the diploma. "

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 2:39pm

finequine wrote on Aug 26th, 2009 at 9:31am:

This was what I had last year

Term 1
Monday - 2 hours Professional Ethics (every 2 weeks), 2 hours Private Client
Tuesday - 2 hours Accounts
Wednesday - 2 hours Conveyancing
Thursday - 3 hours Criminal Court Practice
Friday - 1 hour Criminal Court Procedure (only 3 times), 2 hours Civil Court Procedure

Term 2
Monday - 2 hours Company and Commercial, 2 hours Ethics (every 2 weeks)
Tuesday - 3 hours Civil Court Practice
Wednesday - 2 hours Conveyancing
Thursday - 2 hours Financial Services, 2 hours Private Client
Friday - OFF

Hope that helps a bit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009