Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Visit Amazon.co.uk today Wink
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Police attendance at RTA (Read 8175 times)
offcentre
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Police attendance at RTA
Sep 2nd, 2009 at 8:14am

A friend of a friend was recently involved in a RTA where an elderly man pulled out in front of her at a junction on a sharp corner. She took evasive  action resulting in considerable damage to her vehicle but thankfully no personal injury to anyone involved.On telephoning the local police she was told that it was the policy of L+BP not to attend an RTA unless a) someone was injured. b) the road was blocked by the vehicles involved.
This has put her in a very difficult situation as she has no back up opinion from the police to cite in her dealings with her insurers.
I had always assumed that the police were obliged to attend any RTA in order to ascertain that there was no involvement of alcohol/drugs/dangerous driving in the accident and to ensure that both drivers were both legally and medically fit to drive.
In this case, the elderly man was very reluctant to have the police involved which I assume was because he had something worrying him over their presence.
Just wondered if this is standard procedure for all scottish forces or if it is just easier to reduce the paperwork and generate convictions using speed cameras than actually go out and attend to the public whom they are purported to serve.

IP Logged

Norse_mann

"at the weekends I'm a
viking"

Re: Police attendance at RTA
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 8:35am

The policy of L+BP is standard across the Scottish Police Forces.

Given the number of RTA's on any given day in Scotland if the police were obliged to attend them all, then they would have no time to deal with anything else.

Lord Denning Rules OK&&&&House of Lords Overrules OK

IP Logged

offcentre
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 8:42am

Thanks for your reply.
I suppose it's the same old story really, lack of funding for that area of policing.
Not much of a deterrent though for those who break the law knowing that provided they dont injure somene or block the road then the chances of encountering a police patrol is fairly slim. (I am talking mainly about the more rural areas here).

IP Logged

CP73
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 7:23pm

To add to the a) and b) - if there was any other reason the individual felt should be communicated to the police, i.e. they thought the other driver was under the influence or alcohol/drugs/or unfit through some other reason/suspected to be providing you with false name/insurance details, etc or refused to provide details/about to drive off without providing details, thought there was some medical reason for the accident, etc - you get the picture...

I'm not suggesting or saying you have to make it up - it's just that if there was the slightest suspicion that any of the above (and other factors) may apply then that should be communicated to the police when the call is made; and usually a response would be provided.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009