Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Financial Services Regulation & Capital Markets (Read 5609 times)
_RossDvd_
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Financial Services Regulation & Capital Markets
Sep 4th, 2009 at 1:57pm

I am planning on undertaking the graduate entry LLB at Strathclyde.  I am interested in all aspects of the law and am ruling nothing out until I have studied each area.  At present I am most interested in Financial Services Regulation & Capital Markets (specifically Debt & Equity)  from what I can gather most of these are based in London.  If I study in Scotland what steps would I then have to undergo to work in London.  Is it normal to make this transition?

All advice greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

CC87
Newbies

Falkirk
Re: Financial Services Regulation & Capital Market
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 3:37pm

Many of the bigger firms in Scotland deal with finance, equity, etc, and you should research these further before writing them off completely. Further, some of these firms have a London office, and are therefore capable of standing up against the City. If you are set on London, perhaps you should consider just doing a graduate LLB in England to cut down on re-qualification time, cost, etc.

IP Logged

_RossDvd_
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 7:10pm

CC87 wrote on Sep 6th, 2009 at 3:37pm:
Many of the bigger firms in Scotland deal with finance, equity, etc, and you should research these further before writing them off completely. Further, some of these firms have a London office, and are therefore capable of standing up against the City. If you are set on London, perhaps you should consider just doing a graduate LLB in England to cut down on re-qualification time, cost, etc.

thanks for that, I spoke with the College of Law with regards to entering there and they said that a scottish LLB was fine for entry to their LPC programme.  What re-qualification do you mean exactly?  Also could you possibly give me a few names of Scottish firms dealing in Finance, equity that are rated independantly i.e. by somone like chambers.  Based on the chambers site its difficult to locate firms in Scotland?  Is there an alternative site or publication you would recommend?

IP Logged

CC87
Newbies

Falkirk
Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 10:19am

Usually when someone gains a LLB up here, it is necessary to re-study certain modules of English law, seeing as the two systems are rather different (and vice versa). The Legal 500 is perfect, it splits all of the major firms into practice areas.

IP Logged

LawConvert
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 12:53am

I know this is a little late, but I thought I'd respond anyway.  I am originally from Scotland, but went to Leeds to study Business. (I graduated with a 2:1).  I toyed with the idea of studying case law, moving to London, working in the City and applied to the necessary places (BPP and College of Law).

If, like me, you are a non-law graduate, you have to study the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL)in the first instance.  This acts as a bridge between your first degree and the law.  Upon completion of this, you then progress to the Legal Practice Course (LPC).  Entry requirements are 2:2 in any subject.  However, if you have a LLB in English Law, you must have a 2:1 to proceed to the LPC.  If, however, you have a LLB in Scots Law, you must complete the GDL and LPC before starting a training contract.

Personally, I decided that I wanted to return home.  As a result, I have taken a year off and have just applied to Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Strathclyde and Glasgow, to study the GLLB.  I understand it is a longer process, however, it's much easier to change from Scots Law to English and it will be nice to work and, live, in Scotland.

I hope you made the right decision.  Good luck

Nick

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009