Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Visit Amazon.co.uk today Wink
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trust and Executry work? (Read 9462 times)
Annette

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ayrshire
Trust and Executry work?
Sep 28th, 2009 at 6:27pm

My question is somewhat different from others, in that the job I am trying to get information on is for a man much older than I have seen on the site.

I shall explain briefly why I am asking for your advice.

I have noticed that in many legal firms (including my own family solicitor), winding up of trusts and estates is not entirely done by one of the partners.  For example, in my solicitor's office he has a full time employee specializing in all matters tax, who also undertakes trusts and executry work, indeed it was he whom I saw after my mother died, more than the solicitor himself.

My partner has always been self employed, and has also own his own companies in the past.   In addition, he has a knowledge of trusts, wills etc. and is a legal adviser.   However, he is currently not working, as he wishes to make a change.  He is therefore in the market for a job.  He is 56 and holds several degrees with honours.   When he and I were discussing this, he said he would be interested in doing trust and executry work for one of the local firms.

I wondered what his first move should be, should he write to the firms in our town, with his C.V. and a covering letter?   Or, is there some different course of action he should take?

We have been looking online, for vacancies, but rarely see them.   

I should add, that he already knows he may not necessarily require a Degree for any of the work he is thinking about.  It is more that he wants a job doing something different, and working for someone else.

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Re: Trust and Executry work?
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 11:29pm

If he has some sort of legal qualification, then a firm might take him on. But then again, they may not, if he hasn't done the diploma course in Private Client.  A firm would probably also be pretty wary about taking someone on with no legal qualifications whatsoever. If something goes wrong, I doubt they would have a claim on their insurance policy.....

I take it your partner is upto date on the most recent changes to executries (ie IHT400 forms?).  These are absolutely horrendous to fill in, and it is vital that the person filling them in has the requisite knowledge and experience.  It is all very well knowing how to divide up an estate as per a will, however, when intestacy comes into the equation, things become much more difficult.

It doesn't hurt to write speculative letters to local firms. I know that the firm I am at however, will not take on anybody without a legal qualification.

IP Logged

Annette

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ayrshire
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 9:04pm

thank you very much for your reply, and so quickly.

I think he has all the necessary qualifications, and is not too bothered at this stage in his life whether his work would be on a part-time or full-time basis, luckily he can choose.    However, I shall tell him what you have said.

Once again thank you.

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 10:26pm

I wish your partner luck. Let us know how it pans out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009