Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Part Time LLB - Strathclyde (Read 12877 times)
Torquemada
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Part Time LLB - Strathclyde
Aug 11th, 2010 at 2:46pm

Hi

I was thinking of enroling for the above course at Strathclyde and was wondering is anyone had any experiences of it or opinions about it. I'm really keen to change career into Law but also very aprehensive about doing so at the age of 35. Cry

I realise that by the time i graduate i woud be 38 and then have to look for a traineeship - realistically, would this pose a problem and has anyone heard of someone this OLD starting off in Law?

IP Logged

LLBSteve
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Part Time LLB - Strathclyde
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 1:59pm

Hi there,

I'm in a similar situation to you in that I am 34 and considering the PT LLB at Strathclyde.

Would be interested to hear people's views.

I already have a degree and an MBA from a good business school and looking for a law qualification to complement what I have. Not sure If I will necessarily practice law after the LLB but would be good to have that option.

Is 35 really too late to make a change? I don't think so myself.

IP Logged

Liberty Scotland
Newbies

Campaigning for Human
Rights and Fundamental
Freed

Glasgow
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 3:17pm

Hi T,

There was a great American TV series on before you were born. The main character was called Kaz ... he was a reformed criminal and while in Jail studied law, on release he set up a law firm ... ok, a lot of poetic license but I really enjoyed it ... he was 40+ (or the character was).

I'm half way through mine and I'm over 10 years older then you ... giving nothing away ... and I say go for it.

Realistically, is there any other game in town? Medicine, Engineering maybe but The Law beats all, IMHO.

A lot of work, I imagine a lot sycophantacy as you build a career (can you handle it?).

All the best,

TM member of Liberty Scotland.

IP Logged

zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 11:31pm

Hi guys, just a quick note to say that your age should not be a problem if you decide to undertake the part time or accelerated LLB, there always are a substantial percentage of the cohort each term that are in your age range or above. A law degree will always stand you in good stead whether you actually go on to practice or not. Knowing ones rights and those of others, as well as a sound understanding of legal theory is always a useful tool to have in every industry.

I've personally taught students ranging from their teens to their 70's - your age will not be a barrier!

IP Logged

Torquemada
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 10:28am

Thanks for the positive responses guys. I am pretty determined to do this and am confident i could handle the academic side of things comfortably, it was more the prospects of employment after the LLB that concerned me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009