Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Published Wills (Read 14042 times)
antipode
Newbies

I'm new!

Published Wills
Dec 18th, 2010 at 11:34pm

I am divorced. My wealthy ex mother in law died in East Lothian last year. Prior to her becoming virtually a shell through alzheimers, she told me my two sons were beneficiaries in her will. Their father, the executor, who also lives in Australia, has inherited her estate and not shown my sons a copy of the will, telling them their benefit from the will was 250 pounds.I believe my ex husband made her change her will when she was not really in a mental condition to know what she was doing.  I have contacted the lawyer who handled the estate, and he will not give me a copy. Is there any way I can obtain a copy of the will through public channels?

IP Logged

grumpy
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Published Wills
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 9:40am

When the executor was appointed he would have applied for what is called confirmation. This is his legal authority to distribute the estate. To get this he applied to the local sheriff court where she died. He will have sent the will in at that time. You can go to the court and ask to see the file and therefore the will. They will give you a photocopy on payment of a small fee.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009