Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Council tax - 12 instalments? & pursued from 2003 (Read 2010 times)
sparkles
Newbies

I'm new!

Council tax - 12 instalments? & pursued from 2003
Aug 12th, 2014 at 10:57am

Hello,

Does anyone know if the legal right to pay council tax in 12 instalments rather than 10 applies in Scotland? I can't find this information.

My local authority, Edinburgh City Council says I can only do this if I pay by direct debit, and not by standing order as I currently do. I have a suspicion this is a ruse related to their dogged persistence to gain access to my bank account. But if I don't have the right to pay in 12 instalments as they do in England, I can't complain, can I.

On another note, they were due me a refund on this years council tax for a property I moved out of earlier this year. When it arrived, they had made a deduction for what they claimed was unpaid council tax due on the property from 2003. I had no idea there were any arrears. I owned the property then, but I lived abroad and it was rented. Of course, having just moved house last month, I had just thrown out everything financial relating to more than 5 years ago, and the council say they onus is on me to prove who was due the money and I can't now do that. It's not enough for me to worried about, but again I feel they are exceeding their rights here. Are they?

Thanks

Sparkles Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009